Author Topic: Rare Hepco factory original trunk luggage!  (Read 631 times)

Fberman

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Carlsbad
Rare Hepco factory original trunk luggage!
« on: March 28, 2024, 05:44:50 »
I hope you don’t mind that I start with a story, because it is quite incredible. I travel southern California every week for work, and I prefer vintage suitcases. After two years, my suitcase is on its last legs. I stopped into an antique store near my house in Carlsbad California over the weekend and picked up a uniquely shaped piece of luggage with the intention to pack it for my trip as soon as I got home.

Inside of one of the side pockets was a folded up hand written note on legal paper. It detailed the luggage’s provenance. The original owner was stationed in Germany from 1958 to 1961 and purchased a Mercedes from the factory in Stuttgart. These pieces of luggage came with the car. (Note pictured in post on general forum)

Now, I operate in a lot of collectible spaces myself. So this intrigued me. (I’m not quite at a place in my life financially to start collecting cars, but knock on wood, I hope to be soon) I got to googling and learned that what I had stumbled upon was actually quite special. There was more than one bag at the antique store so I went back and purchased the other two, although they were in worse condition.

From my understanding, this specific set of Hepco luggage is extremely hard to come by, And I would love to get it into the hands of someone who will appreciate it for what it is and restore the two out of three pieces that are in less than ideal condition. Potentially even help somebody complete a set. Inside of one of the bags there’s also the original leather straps to hold them into place within the trunk.

For these three pieces, I’m asking $2250 or best offer. I can be reached at 7023368757. Please feel free to reach out with any questions. I have detailed photos of each piece, and would be happy to FaceTime and answer any questions.

If at all possible, I would love to meet in person somewhere in Southern California, but I am willing to ship.

I hope you enjoyed reading!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 21:55:28 by Fberman »

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: Rare Hepco factory original trunk luggage!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 12:47:48 »
While this style was used in the 113, it had evolved to different latches, shell material and color.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 21:10:30 »
The original poster is also advertising these on EBay at $250 cheaper than here then comments when questioned on it that he is covering the fees eBay charge.  Go figure that out. A collector, then decides to flog them for a big profit, it all sounds a bit off to me.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Fberman

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Carlsbad
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 21:55:13 »
The original poster is also advertising these on EBay at $250 cheaper than here then comments when questioned on it that he is covering the fees eBay charge.  Go figure that out. A collector, then decides to flog them for a big profit, it all sounds a bit off to me.

Ahhh I was confused by your other comment on FB. I thought you were referring to the Ebay listing (where I have them listed at $2550, NOT $250 cheaper than here). Since posting this, I have decided to bring the price down and just hadn't updated here. Will do that now! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

To add some color to your comment, I collect things like significant ticket stubs, vintage sports cards and memorabilia, old books etc etc. I am still paving a way in my professional life (no easy feat with cost of living in southern california btw). and hope to reach a level where I can own vintage automobiles. I'm not there yet.

I happened across these bags, and I can't imagine being expected to give them away, or sell them for half of what they are worth? If I'm off on price, I'd be happy to be educated, but based on my research I feel my asking price is fair.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 22:06:35 by Fberman »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 01:11:40 »

Now im confused.  So there is $2250: $2500 and $2550 depending where you look.   I’d quit while your ahead. l ;D
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Fberman

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Carlsbad
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 01:44:52 »

Now im confused.  So there is $2250: $2500 and $2550 depending where you look.   I’d quit while your ahead. l ;D

I'll be honest Garry, I'm not sure what you are getting at. I'm asking $2550 on Ebay to offset fees. I posted here for $2500, and since then have decided to advertise off Ebay for $2250 or best offer, and updated the listing here. All due respect, but it's not clear to me why you have an issue with any of that. Is my price too high for what I'm selling? As I mentioned I'm very happy to be educated if that's the case, as this is not the world I typically operate in. But it's sort of feeling like you're trying to bully me or something? Did you have interest in the luggage? Are you concerned with a different part of the post? What am I missing?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 02:01:44 by Fberman »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 06:53:47 »
Initially i was interested in the post as a Moderator and thought I should do some research on the sale of Pagoda luggage recently, only to find posts on three different areas of the internet (eBay, on Facebook and our Pagoda Group) at three different price points that both confused me, and raised doubt on the legitimacy of the original post on our Pagoda Group Forum as a Member of this Group and Moderator here.

My primary concern is for the safety of our Members from fraudulent posts on our For Sale area that occur with too much frequency and hence my comments on the conflict in pricing to gauge the posts legitimacy given it was a first post from an Associate Member who joined two days ago to make the post.
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Fberman

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Carlsbad
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 07:00:51 »
Initially i was interested in the post and thought I should do some research on the sale of Pagoda luggage recently, only to find posts on three different areas of the internet (eBay, on Facebook and our Pagoda Group) at three different price points that both confused me, and raised doubt on the legitimacy of the original post on our Pagoda Group Forum as a Member of this Group and Moderator here.

My primary concern is for the safety of our Members from fraudulent posts on our For Sale area that occur with too much frequency and hence my comments on the conflict in pricing to gauge the posts legitimacy.

Thanks for the clarity. I will send proof of ownership via message on Facebook so that it can clear any of that concern up. At this moment, as I said previously, I am looking for $2250, but am open to reasonable offers, but the price will remain $2550 on eBay, as the fees on a sale over $2000 would be significant. The price may change again in the coming weeks. As I stated before I’m far from an expert, and I’m trying to find the right price point where whoever purchases them feels like they got a great deal, and I feel like I got close to fair market. Check you Facebook inbox, and I apologize for giving you that impression. If you look, my eBay has 100% positive feedback and I can provide many references of people who have done business with me in the past. If you’d like those, don’t hesitate to ask.

Fberman

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Carlsbad
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 07:39:12 »
Initially i was interested in the post as a Moderator and thought I should do some research on the sale of Pagoda luggage recently, only to find posts on three different areas of the internet (eBay, on Facebook and our Pagoda Group) at three different price points that both confused me, and raised doubt on the legitimacy of the original post on our Pagoda Group Forum as a Member of this Group and Moderator here.

My primary concern is for the safety of our Members from fraudulent posts on our For Sale area that occur with too much frequency and hence my comments on the conflict in pricing to gauge the posts legitimacy given it was a first post from an Associate Member who joined two days ago to make the post.

Also I’d like to add that I’m happy to accept forms of payment that offer buyer protection, like PayPal goods and services, where the buyer is protected and can get a full refund if for any reason the transaction does not go as planned