Author Topic: Brake Booster, Master Cylinder & Proportioning Valve rebuilder recommendations  (Read 734 times)

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
I'm in the process of completely restoring my brakes. I contacted PMB Performance to rebuild my calipers but they do not rebuild other components.  Can anyone recommend someone that can rebuild the booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Hopefully someone that can do all three.

Thanks in advance!

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
I recently was quoted to rebuild the master cylinder, and it was less money to buy a quality new/rebuilt one off the internet.
1969 280SL

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
I found the same case for my master cylinder and just bought a new one and kept the old one around in case I want to rebuild it later...which now that I think, was not the original anyway as it was replaced years before.

I did get PMB to rebuild my rear proportioning valve because it was just like the 914 Porsche valves they do regularly for $179 (a couple years ago, so probably more now).  take a look at the picture on their web site and if yours looks the same then call them.

let us know who you find to do your booster and how it works out.   Thats about the only thing I haven't refurbished yet and I know Ill need  to. thanks,
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
I found the same case for my master cylinder and just bought a new one and kept the old one around in case I want to rebuild it later...which now that I think, was not the original anyway as it was replaced years before.

I did get PMB to rebuild my rear proportioning valve because it was just like the 914 Porsche valves they do regularly for $179 (a couple years ago, so probably more now).  take a look at the picture on their web site and if yours looks the same then call them.

let us know who you find to do your booster and how it works out.   Thats about the only thing I haven't refurbished yet and I know Ill need  to. thanks,

Mark,

I talked with PMB and they are doing my calipers but they told me they do not do any other rebuilding so that's why I did my post.
I'll update this post with what I find out. Hopefully others will recommend someone.

Thanks

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Check with White Post in Virginia.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
PMB did my proportioning valve as well a few years back. Maybe they stopped doing that? Like Roymil said, the only difference between the Porsche is a spring. Master cylinders are usually not worth rebuilding. Buying new is the typical route.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
Wanted to update my original post.

I sent my calipers to PMB for rebuilding but they do not do proportioning valves. They referred me to a shop in California but I never received a call back to request a quote on my Booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve. I chose not to pursue them anymore as their service would probably not be that good. PMB has been used by many on this site and talking with them assured me that they will do a good job. I really liked that they will re plate the calipers to the original finish.

I contacted White Post Restorations and they would rebuild all three of them. The Booster and master cylinder can be done for a price that is cheaper than each one separately. It still is cheaper to rebuild the master cylinder than purchasing new, so I went that route. Only down side is that they are 3 weeks out to get them back.

I will post an update once I receive everything back.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Sens

• Senior
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Drunen
Hi guys!

About 5 years ago I had a torn membrane in the booster so it did not work.

I bought a replacement membrane for about 25 dollars in the US and was able to replace it. Of course, the booster is a safety component, so you should know what you are doing!

It still works fantastic!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 21:22:06 by Sens »

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
How did you get the two spring loaded halves apart Halvor?
Just asking out of interest, I’m not intending to do it..
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Sens

• Senior
Hi Dave,

With a mallet and a big screw driver you can bend the notches and take it apart.

To close it is the opposite procedure.

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Hi Dave,

With a mallet and a big screw driver you can bend the notches and take it apart.

To close it is the opposite procedure.

I admit that I haven't done it myself but would question the mallet and screwdriver approach. Thake a look here.
https://w113.eu/geschlossen/Reparaturen/Bremskraftverstaerker%20Mercedes%20Pagode%20W113.htm

Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Sens

• Senior
Hello, it worked very well for me!

I took some pictures 5 years ago and if I can find them I wil post them!

Halvor

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Ok. My booster was rebuilt locally but I have a spare that I will (try) to rebuild. Do you by any chance remember where you got the parts?
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Sens

• Senior
I looked into my mail but could not find it yet.
I ‘ll try again.

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Thank you.
The booster shop I used before, wants $235 to rebuild it. They also have a test bench to verify. Its probably not worth it to look for rebuild kits and do it myself.

Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Sens

• Senior
Hi,

You could give these guys a call.
They have a lot of membranes on stock.
Also for old Mercedes and BMW’s

Regards,

Halvor

https://www.bestpartsonline.com/diaphragm-brake-booster-bmw-mercedes-53544-3611854031S-253822-?search=Diaphragm%20mercedes

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Thank you very much.
These guys are are actually 30min away from me.
Will check them out.

Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Sens

• Senior
Lucky you!
For me about 12 hours flying and a few hours driving!

Good luck!

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
I contacted White Post Restorations and they would rebuild all three of them. The Booster and master cylinder can be done for a price that is cheaper than each one separately. It still is cheaper to rebuild the master cylinder than purchasing new, so I went that route. Only down side is that they are 3 weeks out to get them back.

I will post an update once I receive everything back.
Any progress?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
Any progress?

Rodd,

I received my calipers back from PMB and they did an impressive job.  Thanks to all that posted they had used them and I would strongly recommend them. Installed all 4 with new pads front and rear. Got the cotter pin straps done to hold down the emergency brake lines to the rear axle.

Still a couple weeks out for White Post to finish and 2 weeks probably will turn out to 4 by the time I actually receive them. I'll begin making all new brake lines next and install them with all new hoses.

I'll post some photos of the calipers so that others that are interested can see what the finish looked like.

Tony
« Last Edit: Today at 05:57:27 by TJMart »
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed