Author Topic: Help - bolt will not move, anyone had this or have advice?  (Read 322 times)

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
I am removing my seats to treat them with Leatherique and to put pool noodles in the seat squabs. I’ve read the Tech Guide and several threads which mention the difficulty of getting the bolts (particularly rear) out as they have caged nuts - however I’m happy to repeat all 4 of those came out easily. I’d also heard complaints of accessing the front bolt by the handle to move the seat as it’s difficult to access but again, they came out easily on both seats. My problem is the front bolt by the passenger door! The one on the drivers side was easy, but this one bolt won’t move at all using either a ratchet or ring wrench like the rest. I have drenched it in blaster oil but can see no reason it’s stuck - it looks perfectly clean and there’s no visible rust. I can’t see why since it’s not caged, that even getting a bit cross threaded would leave it totally immovable - everything just jumps off it.. Any ideas? As it’s in the cross member I have no other access.
Thanks,
Rich

1966 Mercedes 230SL (Euro model)

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Help - bolt will not move, anyone had this or have advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 15:20:03 »
This wrench also worked for the others when access was hard but that isn’t the issue here.
Thanks,
Rich

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 15:21:38 »
Have you tried tapping the wrench in the "tighten" direction? Sometimes that can break the bolt loose.

I would be quite cautious about heat.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 15:46:12 »
I would try a 3/8" short breaker bar with your socket. You'll get more leverage, but be careful how much pressure you apply. Don't want to strip the nut.

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 19:25:28 »
Thankyou both - after purchasing a 10 inch 3/8 breaker bar it eventually came free  ;D
Thanks,
Rich

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 19:27:31 »
I currently spend more on tools (especially of course metric) for this car than I do parts for it lol. I tell myself they’ll all get plenty of use on the car over time :D
Thanks,
Rich