Author Topic: Pagodas on a loading dock in Cranford, NJ  (Read 427 times)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Pagodas on a loading dock in Cranford, NJ
« on: March 21, 2024, 04:33:12 »
I drove up to Cranford NJ this morning to pick up my 1933 M.G. from the customs and shipping agent.  When I entered the loading dock to retrieve my car what did I see, but a Pagoda!  After I went over to take a look, I turned around to go back to my car - and there was another one!

For the "trooners" among us, this juicy '72 DS was blocking the bottom of the ramp that I need to drive my car down to load it on my trailer.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: Pagodas on a loading dock in Cranford, NJ
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 13:18:21 »
I assume they are intended for export? It has become somewhat popular lately to export Pagodas to Europe. It follows the trend that has been going on for some time in the Porsche world. 356es and 911s are significantly cheaper here and available in greater numbers, thus the stream of vehicles to the old countries.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 01:28:19 »
I assume they are intended for export?

I suspect so.  When I first arrived they were just getting ready to close up a long container full of 50's and 60's era Alfa Romeos in similar shape. 

It was a busy place.  Five minutes after that container was hauled away another llong container was backed in.  When they opened it there were two vehicles inside bearing Armed Forces Europe plates.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 01:12:41 »
Hey Mike
Thanks for the pix and including the Citreon DS.  One of my all time favorite cars.  I know at a Pagoda forum it’s heresy to say this, but many consider the DS to be one of the greatest cars ever built.  This particular looks to be in perfect condition. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 08:30:06 »
very cleaver suspension system - Magic Carpet ride - it was known as. In the uk the BBC used these cars to film horse racing - following along the race track as it get them a stable camera shot even though the grass track was very bumpy.  The suspension system was used by all Rolls Royce's of that era as well. very complex.

Starchild

• Junior Level
  • Lantana, Florida, USA
  • 1970 280SL 1988 560SL 1991 560SEL 1992 190E2.6
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 09:16:07 »
Really hate to see these cars leave the USA! Probably good for the seller but someday we all may have to look to Europe to buy and that will prove to be expensive as the dollar sinks while the printing presses run overtime.