Author Topic: 67 280sl chassis meaasurements  (Read 194 times)

Ted_RGG

• Junior Level
  • Greece, Attica, Markopoulo
67 280sl chassis meaasurements
« on: March 15, 2024, 12:19:13 »
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of restoring a 67 280SL at work and have run into a couple of issues. The car was taken on by another shop that then decided they couldn't restore it after taking it apart and sand blasting it.

The car has a little history with a front end damage and driver side damage I found on the inner wheel liner after removing the outter skin to replace it. These were "repaired" a while back, but wasn't done correctly.

I was told the car was straight and proceeded to dig into replacing rotted out panels. While digging, something was nagging me about the front(inner fender liners don't fit correctly). I was finally able, through the tech section of this forum, to see that the front axle mounts forward of the shock mounts aren't in spec. The total measurement is supposed to be between 764mm to 766mm but I'm getting 775mm. The passenger side also has a nice dimple in the frame rail on the outter and underside of the skin.

Aside from the measurements found in the tech section, is there any other resource with dimensions? And as for the center datum on the tunnel, can someone please clarify where it is exactly? The area shown in the diagram isn't exactly clear. Thanks in advance for help.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: 67 280sl chassis meaasurements
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 18:01:28 »
I believe the chassis drawings are here in the tech manual.
The centre datum is a 5mm hole in the propshaft tunnel bridge.