Author Topic: Key Issues  (Read 365 times)

LA280SL

• Regular
  • USA, CA, PACIFIC PALISADES
Key Issues
« on: March 01, 2024, 22:56:14 »
This 69 280SL came with an ignition key and two smaller TA 035 keys for the doors, glove box.   Neither of these keys fit into the trunk lock.

I have read many threads on keys and locks, and learned a lot of excellent information.  But I can’t figure out why the TA 035 keys fit into the doors and glove box locks, but won’t turn and open them. 

Only thing I keep coming back to is these 3 locks must have been changed.   Except that does not make sense when the TA 035 keys are with the car so why change locks?  Could these TA 035 keys be worn down or something?  Neither key works. 

I removed the lock cylinder for the glove box and shims move when the key is inserted, but that one shim on top gets pushed out when the key is fully inserted. 

Will try to upload photos.  Can’t seem to post with attachments.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 23:40:50 by LA280SL »

LA280SL

• Regular
Re: Key Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 22:58:24 »
Photos

LA280SL

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 22:59:09 »
Photo

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 19:27:41 »
I thought the Ymos key was for the door and locking gas cap.  I have an older locking gas cap with a Ymos key marked TA plus 3 digits.  I think there was a separate key for the trunk and glove box.  And a third for ignition only.  The Ymos key is made of steel rather than brass and should not wear down like a brass one would.  You might be right that the locks were changed at some point.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 20:14:58 by lreppond »
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 21:08:51 »
I think what your datacard tells you (I think it is not the best idea to show your key codes to the world, by the way) is that TA XXX is for doors and fuel cap. TA XXX is not supposed to open glove box. Glove box is opened with the same key as the trunk.

The logic is that valet service person may need to get to the car, may need to get to fuel, but is not allowed to get to your private areas not necessary to drive the car, such as trunk and glove box. The same was achieved when these cars became one-key cars in a bit different way (key profile).

They key will fit the doors and glove box because it is the same profile as the current tumblers. It will not open them as it is a different code.

It will not open glovebox as it has never been supposed to open glove box. You have another key for that, same as the one for trunk.

Yes, someone changed the locks in doors. Those are often used and may go bad, particularly the driver's one. But if someone had to change the driver's one, they changed both not to have too many keys. They kept the old keys - why not? Do they open the fuel cap?

In any case it is quite easy and inexpensive exercise to bring your door locks back to the datacard specs - any fairly good local locksmith will do that.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

LA280SL

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 22:49:06 »
Thanks Len and Pawel.

So it sounds like I need to find a local locksmith and get the door locks and glove box lock changed.   The gas cap is late model and has a separate key. 

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 00:51:29 »
As per the data card description https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/DataCards

Item 17: Koffer und handschuchkastenschloss - Trunk and glovebox lock - one key
Item 18: Tur und Tankschloss - Door and fuel cap - another key

Have them key the car as per the data card. Since you have original keys - have them fit tumbler to key, not key to tumbler.

If gas cap key profile is different - that is difficult, you would need to find a tumbler for gas cap with the door key profile. But if you can insert the door key to gas cap - they can fit the tumbler in gas cap to this door key.

Look, I am now in process of keying 1956 190SL and 1960 Ponton back to datacard. In 56 they had different logic of keys application. Every key I have is different than it should be. I am looking through the internet to get the tumblers with the right profiles - a nightmare... locksmiths need to find coding for 1956 keys in their books or machines...

I think you will get your car in order in no time.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

LA280SL

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 15:50:01 »
Pawel thanks so much for your guidance.   Need to find a capable locksmith!