Author Topic: Warning on buying and selling using sl113.org  (Read 676 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Warning on buying and selling using sl113.org
« on: February 12, 2024, 11:56:19 »
Recently I was alerted by Leonardo that he received an e-mail from admin@sl113.org and when he replied, the response went to another e-mail address. That person had created an account here (now banned) but never used it, never posted messages, and never used the Personal Messaging system.

If someone sends you a Personal Message you will receive a notification e-mail from this system. You can reply to that e-mail, but it will not reach the intended recipient. You need to log in here, and reply via the Personal Message system. That way, there is also a record of the interaction... if you Save your message.

E-mail addresses are far too easy to spoof. But if you look at a message's headers, you can spot a spoof very easily. But remember: you will never receive e-mails from admin@sl113.org in a buy or sell transaction!

So, just a warning to everyone to be careful:
  • do not publish your telephone number or e-mail address in a post on this forum
  • make contact with a buyer or seller via the Personal Message system and Save your messages
  • if the buyer or seller has not posted a lot on the forum, or has a recently created account, do your homework as you would always do and ask for photographs, evidence etc
  • do not just transfer money to others
  • remember, Facebook and its many W113 pages are a honeypot for scammers...

Peter van Es
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 09:07:58 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Warning on buying and selling using sl113.org
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 15:52:18 »
do not publish your telephone number or e-mail address in a post on this forum
Peter,

Is there anything you can do about the members who have used their email address as their user name?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 09:06:59 »
PM them to change it... it's easy in the Profile... Account Settings... change user name or display name.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 15:34:23 »
Another member has indicated they have been approached by this shady seller. As this is the second time, I am posting his e-mail address:

Beware, do not trade with owenex88@gmail.com

His modus operandus:

I was approached (email) by a person through the Pagoda SL Group using email: owenex88@gmail.com.  He was trying to sell me an item that I was looking for on the Wanted To Buy forum.  It appears he is not a member and would not give reasonable answers about the item he had to sell.  He just wanted me to send money with a promise he’d send the item.  It’s looks like he has tried his on other forums when I searched his gmail account.   Maybe you can put a warning out on his owenex88@gmail.com.

Peter van Es