Author Topic: Grammar and Spelling  (Read 11110 times)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Grammar and Spelling
« on: May 30, 2003, 13:48:17 »
Hello Group,

I have noticed over time that there can be some poor grammar and spelling used on this forum.  I believe the primary reasons are:

1. English is not the first language for some people in our international Group.
2. We are car enthusiasts, not typists or English teachers.
3. There is no spellchecker to correct our mistakes.

I think language is important and it should be as correct as we can make it in order to help us all understand the problems and solutions being discussed here.

Since I am the "moderator" of the General Discussion forum, I propose that when I see obvious spelling or grammar errors that I be allowed to correct them.  I would simply edit the post that has the error and correct it.  (I already have the authority to do this, but I have never edited or deleted anyone's messages.)  If there is any question in my mind about correctness of the word or phrase being used, I will not make any changes.

Is this a good idea?  Does anyone in the Group have a problem with this?  Please speak your mind, I will not be offended if you hate my idea.   :?

Thanks,

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 14:47:21 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Douglas

Re: Grammar and Spelling
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 15:01:02 »
rodd, i think this would be a bad precedent. it could make people feel embarrassed & ultimately stifle participation.

people should feel free to express themselves, even at the risk of making an error in grammar/punctuation/spelling. the important thing is whether or not their message is clear.

if you were having a conversation with someone, you'd probably overlook any grammatical errors he or she made as long as you understood what was said. the same principle should apply here.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

George Davis

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 18:28:30 »
Rodd, I kinda like your idea and know that your intentions are good, but I think Douglas is right.  However, if I suggest something really stupid as a solution to someone's problem, feel free to delete it before any damage is done!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 05:25:20 »
Rodd,
Is there a way to install a spell-checker?

Regards,
Stan

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 07:52:38 »
OK, I will leave things be.  I don't know about adding a spellchecker, I will inquire.

Thanks,

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Albert-230SL

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 01:22:24 »
Hi Rodd,

Yes, I'm more comfortable writing in Spanish or Catalan, so please feel free to correct my mistakes. You will have a lot of work with me!... but I will learn "English" and "Pagoda" for the same price!  :)

Thanks and regards,

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432