Author Topic: IDIOT! Soft Top Boot Release Lever.  (Read 518 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
IDIOT! Soft Top Boot Release Lever.
« on: January 30, 2024, 02:50:43 »
So...I was cleaning up the Soft Top Trunk and took off the release valve.  That was a week ago.  Today I when to install the Carpet to the back wall and at the Jump(Kinder) Seat I re-upholstered today.  I F@cking closed the the Soft Top trunk without the Lever on!   I spent a hour trying to crank over the bolt under the middle lever like in the tech manual and it would never release the Drives side.  Now something separated and it moves but does not release either.   I tried to release the hook like the other post with the Wood Ball handle but did not have any tools that right size.  Tried to fish it out with a hanger! FAIL!  wasted 2 hours and then gave up. 

Any ideas how to release that hook other than those options?  I guess tomorrow I will try and build a tool like the Wood Ball tool if there is no other way. 

1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: IDIOT! Soft Top Boot Release Lever.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 07:22:12 »
Take a look at the method described Aart S.  in Pagoda Notes 17 #4:
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/PagodaNotes?action=download&upname=PNv17i4.pdf
Good luck!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Re: IDIOT! Soft Top Boot Release Lever.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 18:11:55 »
Thanks for that link.  Fresh eyes this morning and no frustration and getting to see those parts in that article helped.  Found a thin piece of metal I was able to slide down in and pop it open!
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"