Author Topic: GAHH Carpet Kit  (Read 1152 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
GAHH Carpet Kit
« on: January 26, 2024, 23:30:17 »
I am sure there are tons of you that have GAAH carpet kits.  I am having an issue with the Fitting of the pieces.  Most of the pieces are a little too big.  I assumed that was probably from shrinkage over time.  But some of the pieces are not even that close.  Like the piece for the back wall has a Dip in it, it is not straight across the top.  No piping on some things but they get tucked in so not that big of a deal.  But I reached out and their response was that my carpets were not original and these are correct.  I cannot imagine my carpets were not original but maybe?  Dont see why the original owner (I am number 2) would have replaced the carpets within a year or two because after that it was garaged for 20 years.  but if you look at the photos the pieces dont fit it without me cutting them?

Has anyone else used GAHH and had to alter some of the pieces to make them all fit together.  The way the old carpets worked it was all like a puzzle, edge to edge.  These without recutting will basically have to overlap at 70% of the places they meet?

(Have to go to another computer to post the pics... so I am going to upload this post and then edit it in case someone reads it before I get the pics up....)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 23:40:55 by acbrock »
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: GAHH Carpet Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 18:02:43 »
A friend and I put new carpets into his car a few years back. We found that we had to trim quite a number of pieces, including the big piece in the back. The toughest - the two sill pieces that fit on each side of the car. These were an exercise in patience, and the carpenters maxim of "measure twice, cut once" only we went with "measure about six time, then cut once!"

We were able to use the pieces with piping.

My car (280 SL) with the original carpet set, fading and all was what we used as a template. The most difficult item, and one we set out to a pro, was the carpet on the two wooden covers behind the seats. The carpet on my car was steam-formed round the corner as there were no cuts in the carpet to make the angles.

Our trials and tribulations were chronicled in Pagoda World issues 29 and 30. Issue 29 is available for purchase, but Issue 30 no longer available.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 18:10:43 by Jonny B »
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 22:30:09 »
Thanks.  I think Bob sent me those articles, they were great.

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 22:35:02 »
lreppond - I was back at the Carpet Today and I reread this post.  I have started a new post with sizing issues.  I will post this there too.  But you posted a pic on this one so I figured I would respond here too....

So my issue is the pieces are not fitting and do not measure up to the original pieces.  I am fine cutting and trying to reapply the piping, if I have too.  But was also hoping that is why I paid GAHH.

My pieces do not But up against each other.  Looking at your photo, you have pieces overlapping too?  Did you cut or just overlap them?  Do you have any finished photos?  GAHH is saying their pieces are correct but I am just not seeing it.  My old pieces fit right in like a puzzle.  These do not. Any thoughts or pics?  I attached your picture with the overlaps and also where they butt up against each other?

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 00:10:23 »
Many pieces had to be trimmed being oversized. I distinctly remember the long pieces by the door sills had a sizable amount removed.   On the sharper bends the binding and carpet was cut into to relieve stress and make them fit better.  I guess at the factory (according to JonnyB) they were steamed and stretched into place. 

Apart from notching the trim for better fitting nothing else had to be cut. The areas where you indicated overlapping were done so but I think that’s how the factory did it too?   Hope these pix help illustrate. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 11:45:14 »
I have encountered the same issues with my carpet recently purchased from GAHH. The only piece I have installed was the back wall which did require a tiny bit of trimming. The reason the back wall piece is not cut straight across the top is that it seems like the corner walls are not plumb but actually dip slightly toward the rear of the car. I may or may not be correct on the that but the end result is that I didn't get the lower sections of the corners of the backwall fully glued in. And now, of course, the carpet for the wood covers doesn't fit without trimming.

And I test fit a few other pieces and beleive that some trimming will be required. Since I don't sew, removing the piping, trimming, then replacing the piping is out of the question for me. Since the carpet is one of those things that defines final fit and finish, I've decided to have a trim shop install the remainder of the carpet. 

I am very respectful of those of you who have the talent and skills to follow through on installing the carpet.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 19:03:57 »
Great thanks for the info guys.   Anyone have any pictures of a completed car with the carpet done?   I am 50 / 50 if I am going to try and do this myself at this point.  I will try a few pieces and see if it just looks ok.   But the sewing will be an issue for me too. 

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 20:45:10 »
Have a look on here, and some of their other restorations, you may even find one with a rear seat

https://www.motoringinvestments.com/dr-as-280sl-upholstery-a-c-upgrade/

February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 17:55:09 »
Great site!  Thanks!

LA280SL

• Regular
  • USA, CA, PACIFIC PALISADES
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 02:53:18 »
Are you certain you don’t have the back wall piece upside down? 

I am currently installing a Heritage carpet kit (I bought from Len R - thank you!) and the piece for the back wall has extended parts on both sides of the bottom. I am literally in the middle of gluing the back wall. The  top of this kit is a straight cut, like you show in the bottom of your picture.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 06:29:37 »
I believe my 230SL has the original factory installed square weave carpet.  I've never tried to lift any of it in my 23 years of ownership.  Let me know if you want any specific pics.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 06:33:44 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 18:14:39 »
Wow that would be great reference if you could send some pics...
aaron@brockpost.com

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 18:16:26 »
@LA280SL.  Yea it is the top the bottom has the longer sides.  I gave up and just cut it yesterday.  Planning on Putting it in today!  Palisades!  Right around the corner.  Probably pass you on the way to the beach everyday!

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 21:05:19 »
Pictures of specifically what?
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 22:26:02 »
Maybe some shots where the carpet pieces join or overlap?
Thanks
A

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 23:05:44 »
All pieces, then?
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 00:01:54 »
What ever is easy for you.   I am just trying to decide if I should just overlap or trim.  I am thinking I might start with overlap and then decide on trimming later…

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 13:32:18 »
Have you seen this thread?  There are some pictures that might be of use.  No kinder seat but you can see the finished edges.

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=35523.50
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2024, 18:16:52 »
Wow that is a great Post thank you!  Once again it is amazing how there are slight differences in everything!  I am feeling much better now that things can overlap and I probably will do much less trimming now.  And if I trim a piece that gets overlapped I can pass on the piping!
Got the back wall piece up last night, probably going to pull down and try again.  Can't get it to still everywhere.  I was thinking of putting some of the sound deadening material up to get it more to grab on.  But need to check if that will screw up how it all fits.  Probably need to not do it around the jump seat.  Got the jump seat covered too.  I will grab some pics when I open it all up today.