Author Topic: Ok now a wood question...  (Read 645 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Ok now a wood question...
« on: January 26, 2024, 23:13:39 »
I sanding away today for a couple hours on the box and speaker wood.  The box's sides are pretty nicked up.  I am assuming probably getting constantly whacked by the seatbelt.  The bottom of the box was rough too.  I pretty sure the veneer is cracking and it is not just the top coat.  But... after some work I tried to use a little wood putty to fill in.  I sanded and figured I would drop a coat of stain on it just to see how that will look... (side note popped the stain jar open and I bobbled it.  Stain EVERYWHERE. My hands now match the car wood)
As you can see it looks like CRAP.  Any ideas?  I am going to re-sand.  should I try and just hit those spots with a darker stain? I was planning on doing the same to the sides of the box because the Knicks are too deep but at a loss now?  A better wood filler or Darker?  Maybe I will try and hit those little streaks with one of those stain pens?

1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Ok now a wood question...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 17:49:57 »
Be careful with sanding. The veneer is quite thin.

Did you search around the site for options. I believe there are some owners that have put on new veneer.

Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 11:52:41 »
I used steel wool to clear off the old finish. As Jonny B points out the veneer is very thin. I think you are showing photos of the under side of the console box. Once installed you won't be seeing much of that. The top side of the console box is covered with a piece of carpet so that too isn't generally seen.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 19:09:54 »
I believe the bottom piece is made of Lauan plywood which is a low grade of plywood. On furniture it’s used as the back piece as a dust barrier. It’s usually a little rough, stained and finished with a flat finish. Filler will stain different than the actual wood.  As Lee said, it’s essentially hidden from view and I’m sure that’s why a cheaper grade was used. The carcass of the center tray is also made of plywood but a higher grade and then covered in a very thin layer of walnut veneer.  Rather than sanding to remove the old finish, I’d use a gentle stripper in order to preserve as much veneer as possible.  Once removed, then smooth out with 0000 steel wool, clean with a tack cloth and then stain.  Once dry, follow up with a satin finish polyurethane.  Any dents or dings won’t show as prominently with satin finish but gloss will highlight them.  I didn’t not refinish my wood trim but I have refinished a lot of furniture and this method has always worked for me.  The key is to be gentle and don’t get impatient nor aggressive. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 19:45:07 by lreppond »
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 19:11:25 »
Hmm.  Forgot about the Carpet that will cover the box.  But that is the topside too.  I am going to try again....
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"