Author Topic: Carpet Confusion...  (Read 1160 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Carpet Confusion...
« on: January 17, 2024, 22:57:52 »
Hi,
So decided to get out the new carpet today to see how my car is going to look.   I thought for sure I had a video of me ripping the carpet out but at this point I cannot find it.  All the pieces are a little off but I assume it is just brand new and 60 years old beaten by the sun.  I got the whole kit from GAAH.  Seems like a simple puzzle but I ended up having to put all the old carpet back in to match pieces.  Pics are below.  I have 2 pieces of carpet that I do not know where they go!  I even have the original piece of one of them and I still cannot figure it out.  And the rectangle one is not the Center box.  It is a little too small (short for that piece).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 23:03:28 by acbrock »
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Re: Carpet Confusion...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 23:24:03 »
I don't recognoze the long thin pieces. When I ordered from GAHH around September 2023 they ended up sending me a kit for a 450SL the first time so be sure to check the other pieces. I returned the R107 kit and they sent me a W113 kit so they made good on the purchase.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 23:24:42 »
I bought my carpet kit from KHM. To my surprise, they supplied two of these rectangular ones. As it turned out, one of them, the shorter one, is for the cars that  have the little box with the switches for the rear defroster...
The other one looks like its for the front inner rocker panel somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 23:29:04 by dirkbalter »
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 23:57:57 »
Interesting.  I will check to make sure it is the right kit.  Was the R107 kit close to or completely different.  Everything lays in just not exact same sizes when I hold them up.   I will keep digging for the video on where I pulled that strange piece from... My first suspicion is that it is somehow used for the Jump seat...

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 02:05:10 »
Interesting.  I will check to make sure it is the right kit.  Was the R107 kit close to or completely different.  Everything lays in just not exact same sizes when I hold them up.   I will keep digging for the video on where I pulled that strange piece from... My first suspicion is that it is somehow used for the Jump seat...

Did GAAH not give you a schematic showing where each piece went?  Here is one I took from the KHM web site.  They show slighty different ones depending on if you have the kinder seat or not or the California coupe.

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 02:48:21 »
I purchased from GAT (John O), but at that point he’d already been absorbed by GAHH. No problems at all: they got it all right including the two rectangular pieces…I only needed the short one, so I asked if they could shorten the other and they did, free of charge. 

I had an auto upholsterer do the install. He came to my home and after carefully removing the old carpets, matched up each piece with the new pieces to determine what would need to be trimmed before fitting.  It was a highly ordered process.

~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 08:28:08 »
There was an article on carpet replacement in a PW publication a while ago, it might not show these pieces of carpet, but it still might be helpful for you

If you let me have your e-mail address i'll scan you a copy
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 10:06:20 »
The left side piece on your pic goes in the tray on the tranny tunnel I think
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 10:28:21 »
It looks like you have the rear kinder seat, so these odd pieces are something to do with that, you may have to have a search on line, or just have a look in that area on your car, it might become obvious

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 10:36:05 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 16:07:31 »
It looks like you have the rear kinder seat, so these odd pieces are something to do with that
Yes, this.  You have a carpeted footwell behind the driver, but not the passenger.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 03:00:57 »
Awesome thanks guys.  Yes I found a bunch of schematics online but none showed that piece!  BobH yours is the first to show it.
Insane thing is I took that damn piece of carpet out.  I think just to be sure I will lay all the old carpet in and put the kinder seat in and then I will have to reveal itself!  But I did get mine from John O too!  I sent him an email.  Like I am sure most people doing this on their own, there was a nice delay in removing and replacing that I had not planned on and the old memory is not what it used to be!
Thanks for all the help.

Also BobH that would be great on the email... aaron@brockpost.com

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 11:33:03 »
Aaron, lots of info on here wrt replacing your carpet.  When I removed mine I laid it out on the floor as it came out of the car.  When I got the new carpet I did the same thing just to make sure everything was the same and nothing missing.  Just lay out all your new pieces in the same way you see them in the schematic and it will show you what goes where.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 18:09:39 »
Mystery solved...  Got an email from  GAHH.   Knew it went in this area somewhere...

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2024, 22:34:43 »
lreppond - I was back at the Carpet Today and I reread this post.  I have started a new post with sizing issues.  I will post this there too.  But you posted a pic on this one so I figured I would respond here too....

So my issue is the pieces are not fitting and do not measure up to the original pieces.  I am fine cutting and trying to reapply the piping, if I have too.  But was also hoping that is why I paid GAHH.

My pieces do not But up against each other.  Looking at your photo, you have pieces overlapping too?  Did you cut or just overlap them?  Do you have any finished photos?  GAHH is saying their pieces are correct but I am just not seeing it.  My old pieces fit right in like a puzzle.  These do not. Any thoughts or pics?  I attached your picture with the overlaps and also where they butt up against each other?