Author Topic: Bitumen Insulation under Carpets... Alternative  (Read 674 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Bitumen Insulation under Carpets... Alternative
« on: December 26, 2023, 22:29:45 »
Hi,
I am cleaning out the floor and hitting a few small pieces of Rust.  So I figured I should remove all the insulation that seems to be Tarred down to the body.  After reading lots of posts I came across one that says there is Asbestos in it.  Should have read some posts first! It seems like dry ice is the best way to get this off.  So I am going Mask up and freeze it off.  What is the option for replacement now?   I have searched a few parts sites and cannot find anything or maybe I have the names wrong.  Any thoughts would be great and if anyone has any other tricks to get this stuff out... I am all ears. 
Thanks
Aaron

1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Re: Bitumen Insulation under Carpets... Alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 01:16:21 »
Ugh damn internet.  Does anyone know if there is for sure asbestos in the insulation?  I am guess in the horsehair stuff?  Buy not in the tar?  I am just reading too much on the internet about how bad it is.  Hoping to freeze it, spray it with 3M Glue cover in plastic and chip off and toss.  Then keep working on the Glue/Tar?
Would it be in all four wells or just the foot wells?  The insulation looks different under the seats?

1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"