Author Topic: loose automatic gear lever handle  (Read 660 times)

Christiaan

• Junior Level
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam
loose automatic gear lever handle
« on: December 10, 2023, 18:45:32 »
After a ride yesterday, I turned off the engine of my 280 SL right in front of my garage. Then turned the engine back on to drive the car inside. The automatic gear lever could no longer be moved into position. The rod could be moved very easily into all positions, but nothing works anymore. What could have come loose?

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: loose automatic gear lever handle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 19:10:47 »
Try the search function. I used "automatic transmission bushings" (without the quotes). I glanced through the first couple of items and it appears that you can find what you are looking for. The bushings in the shifter can disintegrate as they do for the manual.

Also - welcome to the group! I would highly recommend that you get acquainted with the search functionality. There is a HUGE amount of technical detail available.

Consider joining as a full member - that will give you access to the technical manual, plus you will get two editions of the Pagoda World magazine through the year, and Pagoda Notes, four times a year.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 16:10:23 »
This is a rite of passage for owners of automatic transmission cars!  The bushing that holds the shift rod to the transmission lever deteriorates and the rod falls out, leaving the transmission in whatever gear it was last in.

If this happens in a safe place, you can rescue yourself by going under the left side of the car, grasping the transmission lever, and moving it all the way forward into Park.  Then move it three "notches" back to get the transmission into 4.  Now go to the firewall and disconnect the ball fitting on the neutral safety switch.  Move the lever all the way up.  Back in the car, start the engine with the parking brake on and your foot firmly on the brake pedal, as you will be starting in gear.  Drive home or to a repair facility remembering not to get it a situation where you need to back up!

It's worth have a look at the bushing every once in a while.  If it's showing any wear or has turned a dark brown, replace it.

Cheers,

CT
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 16:11:45 »
I would highly recommend that you get acquainted with the search functionality. There is a HUGE amount of technical detail available.
Yes!  We have been on-line for 20 years now, so there is quite a lot of info.  It is unusual these days that someone brings up a brand new problem.

Consider joining as a full member - that will give you access to the technical manual, plus you will get two editions of the Pagoda World magazine through the year, and Pagoda Notes, four times a year.
And you get access to the Membership List.  You can sort by country and find others in your country, send them email, get acquainted with other local Pagoda owners.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Christiaan

• Junior Level
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 16:04:49 »
Thanks for your help ctaylor! I found this on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8jFLFYEcs
This must be it. Just happy it seems to be a very easy to fix problem. Regards!