Author Topic: Windshield Replacement and Request for P/N with Green Band Across the Top  (Read 983 times)

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
Hello everyone!!

I moved to Rehoboth Beach, DE a couple of years ago.  Locally (or around DC, Baltimore or Philadelphia), I need to find someone who can replace my windshield.  It had been done just prior to leaving Atlanta, along with a new seal and windshield aluminum surrounds.  Erroneously, a crack formed from the base and has creeped up about 10".  My car is a 1968 250SL.   Does anyone in the Mid Atlantic have some good honest resources for performing a replacement?  I really don't want to turn to Safelite Auto Glass (but will if there is no other choice).   Thanks for your help!!

JP Mose
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 15:28:20 by JPMOSE »
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
Re: Windshield Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 14:28:49 »
Hi Jp ! How are you ? Happy to hear from you . Where did you buy the windshield ? I’ve read that is nla from Mercedes .
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
Re: Windshield Replacement
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 14:47:58 »
Hi Mauro...I haven't checked in on availability for the windshield.  Didn't know it is NLA, as it has to be picked up locally at the dealer (due to commonly cracking during shipping).  The last time I purchased it was at Bud's Benz in the Atlanta area (in 2021).  Have a great Christmas!!  JP
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
I asked the US Classic Center a few weeks ago re. availability and got this back. Sorry its not much help in finding a source.

113 671 02 10 TINTED
113 671 03 10 CLEAR

BOTH HAVE BEEN ON BACKORDER FOR OVER A YEAR AND STILL NO ETA
1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
It is available again ? Ive always wondered if our windshield has the uv protection .
What is better tinted or clear ? Anybody knows the price ?
Mauro Pisani

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
If you need a new windshield and only aftermarket is available—unless you have a Concours condition car for which you are trying to maximize points on the show field, there is nothing wrong with a PPG. Or, whatever else may be available where you need it. A cracked windshield, or one that is severely pitted makes driving very annoying if not dangerous in some conditions.

I had a PPG windshield with a tint band on top, purchased and installed when the car was restored over 20 years ago. At that time I just got what was available at a reasonable cost and the restorer put it in. When I had some work done on the car a couple of years ago, I changed the windshield again because it was essentially sandblasted from all those trips to Ohio and more, for the PUB events! This time I opted for the OEM. It was available at that time.

So if you need a new windshield, get what you can get and don’t wait for Mercedes-Benz to get it back in stock. You never know when this will be, or at what price
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
Hi Mike , the point is : is an aftermarket windshield the same quality like genuine Mercedes ? Mine is still the original from 1967 kinoglas Kristal and has some scratches but still very acceptable conditions if you think that is almost 60years old .
I believe that having the windshield installed from a local Mercedes dealer makes the entire process quite stress free and probably less complicated. They are responsible if the screen arrives damaged and they can count on professional installers.
I guess that replacing the screen in our pagoda is much easier than current Mercedes . They have rain sensors , active mirrors , computers and so on .
Also any benefits from tinted glass ? Or band tinted ? Maybe less uv penetration?
Mauro Pisani

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
I know it is a bit far but I highly recommend Virginia Auto Glass, Petersburg, Virginia (804) 733-2032. I needed a new seal on my 280SL, and wanted to keep the original Sudlas-Kristal glass, owner had to assure that a back up glass PPG was available in case of ioriginial glass cracking while being taken out. Owner let me watch the process in the garage area. They took the old glass out after cutting the old seal off, they then sanded the old glass edges to assure a nice firm fit of the new seal, then replaced the glass and seal. Since that time I have replaced seals on other member Pagodas. I thing it is worth the drive for you. Also I too did purchase MB seals. Do not purchase aftermarket. You will be sorry. Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
is an aftermarket windshield the same quality like genuine Mercedes?
I believe that having the windshield installed from a local Mercedes dealer makes the entire process quite stress free and probably less complicated. They are responsible if the screen arrives damaged and they can count on professional installers.
Also any benefits from tinted glass ? Or band tinted ? Maybe less uv penetration?

My own opinion is that most windshields would be of similar quality. The manufacture of windshields is an enormously complex process. It's not done in someone's backyard, or in a small factory. I once worked for several weeks at DCL (Duplate Canada Limited in Oshawa, Ontario) and became familiar with the process and quality control. In fact I was there on a quality mission, in the inspection part. We inspected the glass prior to manufacture and during the process as well. Here are two YouTube videos of the process.

https://youtu.be/kRi0s3cMg2U?si=3kV0HDut4BlSyqUV
https://youtu.be/HH3fAyJrEYo?si=LW50Q_EiyXy53ntB

DCL was set up for production; those weighted frames were on a conveyor and they were making large quantities of windshields. You don't make one at a time. Too much setup involved with the glass cutting and related.

I had an aftermarket PPG windshield for about 20 years. I'm a stickler for a windshield free of scratches, and especially, pitting or sandblasting which happens with years of highway use. So without even thinking about it I wanted a new windshield during the restoration in 1999-2001. When I had work done on my car in 2020-2021, I replaced that PPG with a Mercedes. At that time the price difference was not that much. I guess I may have gotten one of the last OEM windshields before they went on backorder.

I don't think that a tint or no tint offers much of anything but appearance. I don't think it cuts down on heat or UV or anything significant. Most automotive windshields today have a bit of a tint to them, as very clear, tint-free glass is quite costly. The tint band is something different; that's actually on the vinyl lamination in the center. My first PPG windshield replacement had the tint band. Not sure what technical value this adds either. In the sun, I'm driving with sunglasses.

If you don't need a windshield replacement--yours is not delaminating, no major pits or scratches or cracks, and not sandblasted to the point of affecting your driving, probably leave it alone. If you have a large and growing crack such as J.P. has, well you may not even pass inspection with it in many jurisdictions! Then you don't have much of a choice but to get what you can get.

J.P. there are a number of our members in the DC area with a LOT of experience in these cars. I'm sure they can point you to someone other than SafeLite for a replacement. Unless someone can find a windshield in stock somewhere you'll have to wait or go with something other than OEM.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
Thanks everyone for all the responses!!  Bob...I think it would be worth the drive to Petersburg, VA for someone who is competent!  I am sending an e-mail to them ASAP. Mike...I don't mind a PPG windshield, as they used to be my contract for Lockheed Martin C-130J Windows (they still have the contract with Lockheed!!).  They have an excellent reputation for quality.  The OEM cracked in no time and was only driven 100 miles after installation by my friend and me.  Maybe the transport from GA to DE could have caused something!  Who knows.  I don't show the car so the OEM star marking doesn't matter (other than to me).  But I'll get over that quickly!!
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
BTW...if anyone knows of a another great glass shop that's closer to me....I'm all ears!!  :)
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
I’ve just received an email from
The mb classic center in Germany . They told me that Mercedes is going to re manufacture the windscreen but there is no date yet . He told me to write again in February 2024 and check the status . I believe is only a matter on months .
Probably Mercedes has to make a deal with a glass company to make the screens for them. By the way the price in Europe was around 1.000€.
It’s a pity for us as Europeans that mbclassic center in Germany do not sell anymore since 2014 to private people but only to authorized dealers .
Also I’ve been told from my local Mercedes dealer in my city that for all classic spare parts there is no discount … that’s unfare .
The mbusa in California  gives 20% off for some members but the shipping and custom fees is quite high .
Mauro Pisani

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
I was waiting for voltage regulator and rear muffler for my 190SL as well as for front downpipe for 280SL for over 2 years for Mercedes to start sourcing them again. For all of them I asked for order to be placed and kept there so that it appears, we will get it. We did, so there is hope.

I will check at my dealer for rear heated window.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
It is very unlikely that a Mercedes dealer will install a part that you bring to them. They do not want to do this, because they do not want to warrant the part for function and if something goes wrong during installation. You may find an independent repair shop that will do it.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
If you order directly from them the part they have all interest to install . Labour time means money
Mauro Pisani