Author Topic: Water Drain holes & leaks ?  (Read 18004 times)

Ben

Water Drain holes & leaks ?
« on: May 30, 2003, 04:34:19 »
Can someone let me know about the drain holes in the soft top compartment.

Are they different on the 230SL than the later cars. I've seen a few 280SLs that have a tube protruding from the rear wheel well area. My 230SL doesn't have these but it does have the small oblong hole at the base of the rear 1/4 panel beneath the chrome just between the door and the rear wheel arch. I believe this is correct.

My problem is that I dont see where the water that enters the compartment is supposed to drain to in order that it eventually finds its way outside. There are two gromets, one on each side, but they are sealed and even if removed or opened out the water would drip onto the INNER side of the wheel well and into the area behind the seats. With the grommets in place the water gathers and eventually seeps through the small joint at the very forward part of the compartment, i.e the rear of the area where the door striker is mounted.

Should there be special grommets and tubes here or what am I missing ?

Also on the front wheel well there is a splash guard which is sort of "L" shaped, but upside down. It is held in place with some small 8mm (I think) hex head bolts. Can these be easily removed and what should I expect to see in here in terms of panelwork and sill access. Lastlt do the outer sills just bolt off or is there more to it than that ?

The reason for my questions is that I want to "Waxoyl" my cars but I'd prefer to know what the metalwork is like in these hidden areas anyway. Also I need to prvent water from lodging where it shouldn't !

Any advice/help would be appreciated !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Water Drain holes & leaks ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 06:27:57 »
I'd like to expand this question and ask for a complete (if you don't mind) list/description of all drain holes in the entire car since I fear that some are likely blocked but I don't know where to look...the trunk, dash, doors, etc...
To start it myself: I found two small pipes coming through the firewall below the dash vent area, they drain into the engine compartment and have a rubber drain ball at the end; should they be cleaned out? Where are the other drain pipes and holes including the soft top compartment mentioned above?
Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 06:46:43 »
Richard
Those two rubberball drains are the ones that drain the vent intake(scuttlebox) and if they become blocked you can have serious problems. I wrote a longish article about this and the problems created, for Dorians site, which is still there under "frequently asked questions" I believe. Dan Caron wrote about the softtop compartment drains, again on Dorians site. I don't know if there are other drain plugs ?
Richard V
I found the articles on Dorians along with Dan's reply;
Hey All
Since everyone is busy doing spring maintenance, I thought this might be an appropriate time to remind everyone to clear the drain tubes for the ventilation air intake box (scuttlebox). Just to make sure we are clear on this, I'm referring to the air scoop under the windshield. Water and dirt get in through the opening and drain out through 2 rubber ball like fittings on the engine side of the firewall. One is located near the exhaust headpipe the other is below the brake booster/master cylinder. These will allow the free flow of water but can become plugged with tree needles, leaves, etc. When this occurs water can become trapped in the tubes, backing up and into the interior of the car. If the connecting rubber hoses are in good shape (found under the dash above the footwells)leaks may not show up. Water will be accumulating where it should not be. After a time the metal tubes may rust through and then the water can build up in the firewall crossmember channels. These channels can hold considerable amounts of water (several litres)as they are continuous from side to side.
You don't want this to happen. Your car is now rusting from the inside out and you won't know for some time. This is the voice of experience, as I presently have most of my firewall crossmember cut out, only posibble because the engine is out of the car. A formidable task, as the crossmember passes through the inner fenders to the outer corners of the cockpit, and is welded to the firewall. This job will likely cost me $500 CDN for parts and several days labor and could have been prevented by an annual clean/inspect of these drain tubes. The damage was "apparently" minor, with a small rust hole around the pass. side drain tube. The extensive corrosion was all on the inside, eventually eating through to the pass. footwell.  
Squeeze the rubber ball and make sure these tubes aren't blocked. Run a small wire up the tube to make sure.
Of course if anyone should find such a problem I'll be taking repair bookings starting next week  
Richard V

I read this advice the other day with interest and decided to do it this weekend.

Unfortunately it rained very heavily last night, after a nice 2 week dry spell, and this morning the front carpets are soaked. I haven't had time to figure it out yet but just drying out the floor is enough work let alone finding the cause and cleaning out the gunk !

I've seen the tubes on the engine side and cleaned one out, it was semi choked. The other side is more difficult as mine is right hand drive, and consequently the brake booster, steering box and exhaust make access difficult.

Anyway why do these tubes enter the car at all anyway?
If leaves and rainwater come in through the front scoop I assume they are coming in the same way the air should and therefore into the car that way. So this whole area where the air should travel fills up with water !
Am I right Ben

Ben
The vent intake has to be drained as water will enter when driving in the rain. The air has to travel through the heater core/vent chambers but you don't want water here. Since the air chamber is in front of the heater core and inside the car the water has to be drained back through the firewall. There are 2 rubber connecting hoses from the bottom of this chamber to the metal tubes which actually exit through the firewall. These rubber tubes(1 each side) can be seen by removing the underdash kick panels and laying upside down on the floor  
Most all vehicles have to drain away water which enters the grills below the windshield, the arrangement is a little different in our cars, due to the scoop, but not much.
There are other sources for wet floors; windshield wiper arm gaskets, soft/hard top and side glass gaskets, wiper motor chamber drain holes, and not to be forgotten is dried out windshield rubber gaskets, leaking around the glass, a common occurance in older benzes which can lead to rotted floors, as the water sits undetected under the mats. These windshield rubber/gaskets should be renewed probably every 10 years. If you are not sure, check them next time it rains. Look for a little trickle in the lower inside corners of the rubbers, next to the glass, front and rear on the hard top or sedans. This can soak your backing mats and not get the actual carpet wet enough to show it.

Changing floors panels is not as much fun as driving  
Richard V

Hi all.
I've done a lot of these repairs over the years. It surprises many just how much time you can spend trying to make everything work.
On the subject of water getting into the car , here's one that not everyone knows about.
In the soft top well are two drains at the front where the top bolts down. These are actually rubber tubes and they can easily become plugged. If your top rubs against the seal it will slowly wear it away leaving a spot for water to enter. The channel that holds this seal often rusts away and this also allows water to get in.
The seal itself has a drain where the channel in the rubber starts. There's a small hole and the water drains through it and hits a baffle on top of the wheel house and then exits just above the rocker cover between the door and wheel opening. There are two drain holes at that area and they too can get plugged. A good shot of air will usually open it back up.
Water in and of itself is not so bad. It's when it lays in one place for a long time on a continual basis that you will have problems.
Regards,
Dan Caron
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 07:16:04 by Ricardo »

Ben

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 07:25:55 »
quote:
There's a small hole and the water drains through it and hits a baffle on top of the wheel house and then exits just above the rocker cover between the door and wheel opening.

Okay ....where exactly is this small hole and do others have the grommets I'm talking about? I see the hole where the water should exit, but I dont have the "baffle" that should re-direct it as it drips. So in my car the water doesn't get re-directed to an outer part of the wheel house where it can exit, it just drips into the car, specifically into the rear compartment.

Can anyone describe or show me these baffles as I am myself  quite "baffled !  :)

Thanks for the help BTW, I had seen those articles last year andd took care of the front drain tubes !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 13:26:00 »
There are more drain holes in the engine bay.  In the corners where the firewall & fenders come together there is a flat area (under brake booster & under radiator expansion tank on LHD cars).  There should be an opening that lets water run down into the front wheel wells.  Also, where the front frame rails come down and meet some other parts (I forget what), there are two more drain holes.  These are under the battery and air filter housing.  They can be cleaned with a small screwdriver or similar device.

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Ben

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 01:49:14 »
If someone could describe what they see when they open the soft top box, in terms of where the holes/grommets are I'd appreciate it !

Also on the soft top box lid the seal that runs around the outside has a small drain hole in it which corresponds with a hole in the 1/4 panel channel that the seals goes into. So although only a small amount of water would go through this where does it drain to......does it just drip onto the top of the wheel arch and into the boot ?

What is to stop the water that gathers in the soft top compartment from draining gbackwards into the boot, nothing as far as I can see. This is what happened to my car. I parked on a hill, it rained heavily as it usually does over here :(, and my luggage got soaked !

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 06:37:06 »
Ben,
I will try to take some photos today and post them tonight.

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 15:59:24 »
I found more drain holes this summer and forgot to write about them.  When I had the headlights out I found holes at the bottom of the headlight buckets.  They had rubber grommets.  They look too small for any significant wires to go through, so I assume they are there to drain out any water that gets behind the headlight seals.  Does anyone else have these?

Ben - I never got around to posting those soft top compartment drain holes, did I?  I will try tonight.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 16:02:02 by rwmastel »
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 00:41:13 »
There are far more drains than the ones listed here so far. The front bumper cross member has them as well as the rear one. The side frame members have small holes drilled at each end as well as the fire wall cross member. Right at the bottom of the rear wheel house you will find two different ones - the first drains the main rear frame menber and I'm pretty sure there another one in there too. In fact , there's a drain of some type in virtually every single frame or boxed in area all over the entire car. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there. They are or they've been covered over or removed.

There's also a vent on the rear axel near the diff and it should be cleaned out too. It can be removed and washed in solvent and then air blown through it to remove any remaining dirt. Without this vent open pressure will build up in the axel and oil will be forced out through any cracks or seals. There's also a vent on the trans but plugged vents don't seem to be much of a problem there.
How many of you oil the hood hinges?  They get dry and tend to bind which is just what you need to tear the aluminum righ out on the prop rod side. How about the oiler on the distributor or the small wick under the rotor. I found one completely siezed on a 220S I'm working on and actually had a pretty hard time getting it apart. I'm sure that it hadn't moved in years.
Dan c

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 03:32:56 »
Hi Rodd, those pictures would be great as I am still suffering from little leaks !

Dan you say "The side frame members have small holes drilled at each end as well as the fire wall cross member"..........can you be more precise, do you have any photos? My car has more than a few applications of underseal and I want to ensure that the drains are clear. We get alot of water around here and I dont have my hardtop finished yet !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 23:27:56 »
Hi.
The side sills or frame members have a small hole drilled at each end.This holes about 5mm and are roughly 25 to 30mm from the outer end if the sill. This piece comes down on an angle and is then flat on the bottom before going straight up the inside. The bottom is not very wide and this is where you will find these holes.
The firewall cross member along with the front bumper cross member really don't have drilled holes at all. This is more like a groove in the stamping process and leaves a space where water can run out. These small grooves or ridges are in a lot of different places and most of them are plugged solid with dirt. You can use a wire or screw driver to clean them but watch that you don't remove any paint and exspose bare metal. You can dip a pipe cleaner in some paint and swab the hole which might help a bit.
I highly recomend that the car be oil sprayed if you live in a humid environment. This may require drilling some holes but don't let them drill into the doors - they're aluminum. Most areas have access holes ready for you to spray into. I only use gravel gaurd on outer areas and not undercoating. Gravel gaurd is a lot stronger and will harden without flaking off once it dries out. Nothing worse than reaching under a car and getting covered in tar. Not good.
Oil or MB wax is prefered as it can be washed out or removed if needed. Ever try and weld around undercoating? Better have lots of water handy.

Dan c

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 03:55:21 »
Thanks Dan, that clears things up for me. I've seen the stamped grooves all right but I'll have to look for the little holes later.

It's actually gravel guard I used, I just called it underseal, and I've used Waxoyl cavity wax into every nook and cranny !

Thanks again !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 12:41:34 »
Ben - I won't be getting those photos.  I forgot that I put on the hard top a few weeks ago!  If a friend comes over for some other reason then I could take it off and try to find drain holes.

Dr. Benz or anyone else - Dr. Benz wrote
"There's also a vent on the rear axel near the diff and it should be cleaned out too. It can be removed and washed in solvent and then air blown through it to remove any remaining dirt. Without this vent open pressure will build up in the axel and oil will be forced out through any cracks or seals."
Where exactly is this valve?  Is it obvious how to remove it?

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 03:05:38 »
Thats fine Rodd, I am about to put on my hardtop too so I'll leave it all alone 'till the warmer weather comes back.........if ever !

I think I've seen the axle vent, its on the top of the diff and has a top hat type cap on it......I think !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 23:11:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastelI found more drain holes this summer and forgot to write about them.  When I had the headlights out I found holes at the bottom of the headlight buckets.  They had rubber grommets.  They look too small for any significant wires to go through, so I assume they are there to drain out any water that gets behind the headlight seals.  Does anyone else have these?

I am reviving this topic since I couldn't find an answer to Rodds question. My 230SL also has these drain holes but some seem to be open and others closed with a grommet and it appears that Ed Cave's 280SL also had them (see picture: 230SL left, 280SL right).
Should all three holes be closed with a solid plug, or with a gromet that allowas some drainage or air exchange? Who has the answers?  :?:
Download Attachment: Headlight_Drains.jpg
36.64 KB

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 02:43:35 »

Here are 2 pics of the drainholes in the softtop compartiment I downloaded myself a while back
Download Attachment: waterdrain 1.jpg
53.82 KB

Download Attachment: waterdrain 2.jpg
32.46 KB

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:10 »
I seem to have soft top compartment leak issues also.

It takes a lot of time to find all of the sources of water problems on these cars. We just acquired a good driver 250 SL that had a fair amount of water trapped in the compartment under the parcel shelf behind the seats. There's a recessed area on each side of that area and both were rusty. (What _is_ this recessed area under the parcel shelves for?)

So back to my subject - with the soft top box exposed I poured water into the driver side drain hole to see where it came out. Much to my surprise, it came out of the area surrounding the jack point cover. I removed the jack point cover and tried again, it appeared to come out of the area around the hole for the jack point. Then I noticed that some water was again also in the recessed area under the parcel shelf -- I didn't repeat the test a third time to see if more water went into this interior space.

I've read lots of the forum about places to find leaks and fix them, but I don't know about this one. How do I get access to the underside of the softtop box to see where the drain line is (or isn't) and where should it go? Obviously not to the area under the parcel shelf...

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 16:23:04 »
Scott,

The recessed area, on one side, is a foot well for the transverse third seat.  You could also hide stuff in there!

It should be easy to take the verticle trim cover off the interior that is near that area.  I'm not sure if that reveals drain tubes or not, but it's a start.

Rodd
Pagoda Technical Manual
please contibute: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php
1966 230SL
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL