Author Topic: Heater Core Clean up?  (Read 1021 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Heater Core Clean up?
« on: November 18, 2023, 16:44:08 »
hi a couple of my total newbie questions.  So I got to heat of the car... The Heater Core.  I read so many times on this forum that the car seemed to have built around the Heater Core!  So I got mine out.  I am going to swing it by a Radiator shop and see what they think.  But honestly I am not sure what could go wrong with something like this.  As long as the valve work and fluid run thru it what else could be wrong? I know if it was a Radiator and it was all banged up but this seems so protected? I will attach a pic...

But my second question and it covers more than just this part.  So many times on this site I see the after pictures of peoples parts.  They look Brand New!  Is that just from crazy cleaning or should I be Painting these parts before I put them back in?  I can't find the post anymore but someone had a very weathered looking Core and then the after looked perfect?  If I should be painting would it just be an anti rush black paint? 
Thanks
Aaron
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Heater Core Clean up?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 21:04:13 »
Many parts are painted satin black, either sprayed or hand painted, recommendations on here, Eastwood gets a lot of mentions in posts

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=32689.msg265842#msg265842
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 22:50:52 »
Another potential issue with the cores are the mounting brackets on the sides of the core. These are prone to breakage, which is not a huge deal in and of itself, but it will leave the core with rattles and squeaks that can drive you a bit crazy.

Same is true for the metal "pan" on the core. It can also come loose.

Check out the technical manual for more information.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 01:14:38 »
The pan has me a little confused.   I had no pan!  It did not make any sense.  I took the blower out over two months ago, I think it was the first piece I got out of the dash after the Glove Box! The core was yesterday.  Went to the shelves where I am storing all the parts and behind a box I found the pan!  Must have come out with the blower and I never registered what it was. (Being completely honest I probably was confused because at that point I did not even know the Core was above the blower in dash!). 

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 01:28:35 »
Hmm.  Eyes are getting tired and the Old Fashion is not helping but was the metal pan attached with Pins?  All 6 holes are empty on the pan and the corresponding spots on the Core are full and they do not appear to be screws?  Just flat.  Fresh eyes in the morning.  long time ago I found a Red Behr tag on the floor, never could figure out if it was from this car or another, now I know!  Glad I kept it!

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 17:50:37 »
I have  refurbished the heater core some months ago (because as many other said )of rattling. I found the 2 side brackets unwelded as usual !
The radiator has been tested after cleaning , then put back with a nice black coat and new foam at the front and rear side.
PS: the "pan" has been welded in a bad position  :o by the professional...! upside down...
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 23:11:06 »
Awesome thanks for all the info!