Author Topic: Ignition Removal  (Read 1674 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Ignition Removal
« on: September 01, 2023, 23:28:30 »
Hi, have almost everything out of my Dash, just want to get the Ignition out.   I don't think I need to whole thing out just the chrome cap so I can clean it and polish it up and then I will be better access to clean the dash.

I have read a bunch of posts and tech manuals and it seems like there are few different ignitions.  I have a 66' 230.  The tech manual say that if you take the Ring off, then put the key in and turn it 90degress then you should be able to pull the cap off a little then turn the key back remove key and pull of the cap?  I turned the key and nothing will budge.  Is this a Force thing?  Or should I drop some liquid wrench in?  The pictures are my ignition, any able to tell me how to get that piece off?  Think I need to hole on the top of the inside shot would release something? 
Thanks
Aaron

1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Ignition Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 00:01:05 »
You should be able to remove the entire assembly.  There is a bolt to loosen on the steering column.

copied from technical manual

"The steering lock shaft is attached to the steering column and the ignition key assembly by a 'C' clamp with a 6mm bolt."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 00:09:44 by badali »
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 00:10:17 »
I cleaned up the ring and it looks like a pin or screw and then cap should come off.  I will give it a go in the AM.

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 14:01:52 »
hi
as far as i know the ignition switch on the 66 is one piece

on my 66 i  removed chrome ring, disconnected the electrical plug, fully loosened the clamp behind the dash,  unbolted the steering column, i believe turned the key to dis engage the lock and then wiggle everything to get it out.
if i recall correctly the you have to get the key end to turn so its behind the dash and the its rotates and is out

installation is the reverse.   

i replaced the original back in the late 90's with a new one form the classic center and then about 2 years ago popped it out to lubricate the locking mechanism.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 01:33:27 »
copied from technical manual
Please provide links to the Tech Manual.  That way as members gain (or leave) full membership status, the access to the information will be appropriate.  Just posting the info cheapens full membership.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 17:24:07 »
Thanks for all the notes.  I think I am going to leave it in for now and see how much clean up I can do with it in.  Once it cleaned up the inside and dropped the go pro in for a video I see how it all holds together.  Reading all the posts about this before starting it seems like a lot of people have issues with the Wheel Lock and mine has never had an issues so I am hesitant to pull it apart and introduce new issues...