Author Topic: Fabric fuel pipe clamp near fuel tank?  (Read 2637 times)

silver surfer

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Fabric fuel pipe clamp near fuel tank?
« on: August 24, 2023, 15:20:25 »
Hi all.

After many years I am hoping to finally complete the restoration of my 1969 280SL.

Does anyone have a picture of the pipe clamp please which attaches to the vertical bracket ( see pic) please as mine has been either lost at home or by the zinc platers. If I can't buy one I will see if its possible to make one.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 18:37:02 by silver surfer »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Fabric fuel pipe clamp near fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 00:19:57 »
I know you say "near fuel tank", but that zoomed in pic makes it hard for me to know what area you're asking about.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 05:58:39 »
Indeed, difficult to locate...

If you mean a clamp holding one of the two fabric fuel lines to this bracket near the fuel tank - I do not recall such clamp.

I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the only clamp holding any fabric fuel line near the tank is the one holding pump-filter line to the floor of the car. The tank - pump line has no clamps.

The bracket on the picture may be one of the fuel tank brackets where the L shaped bracket is attached.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

silver surfer

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 06:51:30 »
Thanks for responding guys.

Sorry if I haven't been clear. The clamp which attaches to the welded bracket shown on the 1st photo. No 26 on the parts list photo left hand side.

Many thanks

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 08:42:02 »
PN A 113 476 00 36.

You can most likely get it here https://www.niemoeller.de/en/w113/w113/B044/470/d47043-holder-for-tank-support-front-left

But indeed, a picture or dimensions would probably help you more...
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

silver surfer

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 12:28:07 »
Thank you that's very helpful. I

I was hoping to see a picture of an actual clamp to see if their was a captive nut welded to it or if a nut, bolt and washer was used to attach the 2 parts together. (26+28 in parts photo)

I didn't know about this company. I have been using SLS who don't list the part.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 12:48:14 by silver surfer »

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 01:06:00 »
There is nothing attached to that bracket on my car.  I just replaced the line out of the fuel pump that runs toward the front of the car.  The way the pipe bends before the hose, there is no way the bracket is intended to hold that hose.  For the flexible line from the tank to the pump, it would have to bend down 90 degrees and then bend almost that much again to feed the pump.  I don't think there is supposed to be anything attached to that bracket; at least on the 280. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

tcj

• Junior Level
  • Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia, Lohmar
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 17:03:33 »
#22+#24 attaches to the welded bracked to hold the tank.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 17:27:12 »
TCJ,

Excellent first post!  Welcome to the Group.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

silver surfer

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 11:26:11 »
Hi all.

Thanks for all of your help.
 I have found the bits I needed thankfully and it's now sorted as per original.

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 13:14:20 »
Not trying to say right or wrong, but the solution I am more familiar with is as on the picture. It is from the "Holy Grail" picture collection. The clamp goes to the floor.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

silver surfer

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 17:45:41 »
Not trying to say right or wrong, but the solution I am more familiar with is as on the picture. It is from the "Holy Grail" picture collection. The clamp goes to the floor.

Thanks -yes I also need to clamp to the floor as original. Hopefully the pipe will reach as the replacement is a bit shorter than the original one.

brucenator

• Junior Level
  • USA, TN, LENOIR CITY
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 20:29:06 »
Item# 26 angle bracket 1134760036 (no longer available from MB) and 28 clamp 1369950037 which MB charges $35 full price. This supports the fuel pump supply hose to prevent it from coming into contact with the rear axle. I am restoring my 1967 250SL and these parts are the same but different item numbers in my parts book.  I also purchased 16mm stainless steel one hole clamps on Amazon for around $13 and you get a pack of 10 that you can use for the wiring harness and cooling lines in the engine bay. I'e attached a photo of the bad parts on mine and may answer your question of a capitive nut on an angle which you can fab also and use a bolt and nut instead. You can also use a stainless steel cage nut that are available in a lot of hardware supply stores. Also attaching a sketch of the angle bracket with dimensions.

Just an added note. I get all of my fasteners from Belmeteric.com and their prices are terrific.

Good luck.

Bruce Bliss
1967 250SL
Soul Red V41
4 Speed
Euro version

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 23:06:57 »
I am, actually, not familiar with this bracket. I reviewed many pictures when I was hooking my fuel pump, did not see it. I am enclosing - again, Motoring Investment and some pictures Members here were kind enough to help me with.

I thought there was no bracket there holding the feedline.

The L-shaped bracket - yes, it is there, but to hold the tank. I am not sure if the rest of the bracket shown is factory.

Yes - I have a bracket there that I fabricated, but it is to hold additional in-line fuel filter that I installed between tank and fuel pump (not the one on the picture). Otherwise - no factory bracket.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

brucenator

• Junior Level
  • USA, TN, LENOIR CITY
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2023, 13:11:48 »
Is your fuel tank an original? It appears to be different then the one in the part catalog. My connections are in front middle top of the tank and the hose is longer from the pump requiring the support. I have attached a revised sketch showing the exact configuration it would look like from the factory and what mine looked like when I removed it, and the bolt broke off the captive nut because of extreme corrosion. Also added the MB part numbers for reference that are still available and unfortunely some of the parts shown are no longer available from Mercedes.
1967 250SL
Soul Red V41
4 Speed
Euro version

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 20:57:54 »
The first picture I provided is from an original car, the "Holy Grail", one of the best preserved Pagodas. In my car, the fuel supply comes out of the tank in the same place as original and I have MB line.

I am not educated enough to say "yes, it was there" or "no, it was not" :).

I just have not seen it and I studied the topic some time ago as I was working on connecting my fuel pump.

The parts numbers for bracket and clamp are described as on the attachment below: "front tank bracing", which is what I thought they were. I am assuming you have 250SL.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class