Author Topic: Seat Restoration  (Read 1641 times)

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Seat Restoration
« on: August 11, 2023, 21:41:14 »
Hi,
So started in on meat seats and the rest of the interior.   So I have the seats out.  Slowly took them apart.  Got the covers off, horsehair in decent shape other than 1 spot so I am going to leave it.  Took all the brackets off and apart.  Sprinings and spring supports look good so I am just got to clean the up and leave them intact.  I have all the various parts off and apart.  Soaking cleaning and polishing...
Down to the actual brackets that the seat slides on.  Dont think I can take those apart with having to do some metal work to get them back together.  They are SUPER Sticky!  I actually found a Quarter jammed into the drives seat.  I have been trying to clean them, I have sprayed with degreaser but they are still super sticky.  Should I try and soak them in something or is this just how they are and I should oil them up and see if they move freely?  Also seems like they played a piece of paper tape on the bottom of the bracket.  I figure I will do the same when I put it back together.  But there is also some tape in one of the channels, I am guess this just fell off and got stuck there? Then would not put tape in the channel would they?

Then when I start to rebuild and put on the new seat covers, what should I put on all the parts that move?  Why type of grease /oil is recommended?  I would have attached this to a thread on the seats I was reading but it I could not find a way to reply so maybe that thread is closed now?  If posting pics would help let me know.
Thanks
Aaron
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

acbrock

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Re: Seat Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 17:49:35 »
So soaking and degreasing I seem to have the "Channels" clean. (probably wrong name, I am going to search for specs on it.). I notice that in 1 of the channels (not sure what side) there is 2 rollers, one front one back, in the other channel there is only 1 Roller.  Can't imagine how one would fall out but does that seem correct?  I only have 1 seat apart right now (Drivers seat).  I dont see anything in the channel so it may just be that they are stiff and once I lube them up and use my body weight to move it when installed in the car it will move more freely than trying to do it by hand?
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 19:43:05 »
I had the seat tracks off while my seats were recovered in a trim shop. My seat tracks were also very "sticky".  I lubed them with transmission fluid (in a small container with a flexible spout. I just worked them and worked them and finally they loosened up.

I'm not sure about 1 roller versus 2. But I would hazard a guess that each set of tracks needs 2 rollers.

I think the best lube might be a dry teflon lube but i just used light oil. I'll probably regret that.  It's obviously in a place where it will attract any dirt and an oil is likely to attract the dirt. Good luck.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 22:49:32 »
I would have attached this to a thread on the seats I was reading but it I could not find a way to reply so maybe that thread is closed now?  If posting pics would help let me know.
Aaron,

Starting a new thread to address your problem is best.  Replying to a thread is best for discussing the existing issue in that thread.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, right?  Post pics when you can.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL