Author Topic: 16 inch wheels on a Pagoda  (Read 2407 times)

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
16 inch wheels on a Pagoda
« on: July 03, 2023, 23:38:28 »
I've looked through this site, MBCA site among a few, regarding 16 inch wheels and am finding no photos of 16 inch wheels on Pagoda.  As for me, I have a fairly extensive amateur level of restoration/repairs on W108/109/111/113/114/115 cars dating back 40 years. I fully get keeping things original and in some ways I prefer cars to be unrestored with original patina. HOWEVER, this would be a boring world if everything was vanilla ice cream. So, I'm looking for a photo of a W113, or 108/111 with 16 inch bundt wheels. I want to see how they visually look. I'm not interested in rim widths or offsets as that can be calculated.

the picture below is a W111 originally in cream exterior and black leather. I gutted the entire car and did it in midnight blue with dark red leather. The front tires are Michelin pilots 205-60-14s and yes it sits an inch lower than the back and I hate it, but when I chase AMG's around North Bay Hills, I'm so glad I have them. Also, I keep all the original parts including the 30 year old 13 inch Michelin tires that were on the 111.

So I'm not interested in originality in my cars as both cars were sort of orphans that I rescued and were beyond the point of keeping original. These will never be considered anything more then weekend drivers, but oh what fun they bring me. So does anyone have a photo of a Pagoda (or 111/108) with 16 inch wheels?
thx

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 23:47:26 by leonard »

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
Re: 16 inch wheels on a Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 01:04:27 »
Edelweiss has some BBS RS008s that fit perfect (no rubbing) on 225-50-16 tires.

1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 01:06:26 »
Might be the only Pagoda on BBS RS wheels in the whole world.

I can't find any other examples.

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 01:10:49 »
Thank you! They don't look bad and seem to grow on you the longer you look at the photo. And in any case they look WAY BETTER wrapped in BBS 16 inch wheels and performance tires than wrapped around a tree with 14 inch 'trailer tires!' 
thank you!

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 01:14:05 »
And in any case they look WAY BETTER wrapped in BBS 16 inch wheels and performance tires than wrapped around a tree with 14 inch 'trailer tires!' 
thank you!

Thanks?

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 08:05:15 »
Whenever you change something on the suspension there's a knock-on effect somewhere else.
High profile tyres absorb a huge percentage of the shocks imparted by the road and when you reduce the profile those shocks are passed up the chain to the suspension, chassis and ultimately driver.

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 08:58:50 »
The beauty of owning a car is that you have the option of tailoring it to look and feel exactly how you want it to look and feel. After all it is your asset to do what you like with it and you should not fear judgement by others.

However, these rules do not apply to Pagoda’s and the only correct rim size is 14” and no further correspondence or opinions will be entertained 😂
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 13:59:39 »
My apologies to teahead: sorry Rob never meant my comment as a disparagement on your car, I do like it. That comment is what I would say if and when I put 16's on mine. My view is, 'its my car and that's that'. I knew a guy with an Austin Healey that drifted across a curved road and was killed.

As for Dave and originality: well your really going to love what I did with the 'kinder seat'; that abomination dreamt up by the marketing department. That has to be the 2nd most ugly out-of-place add-on on this beautiful car.  Note the steering wheel emblem in Italian tri-colors as a tribute to where it came from. Also note that when I bought the 250SL, it had a 280 engine so it's never going to be original and I'm not going to try.  At the moment I'm redoing the entire interior; door cards and coco mats on order followed by seats.

Stick; I hear you but driving with both the 195 75 14 Hankook and 205 60 14 Michelin Pilots, I'll take Pilots any day. My 111 has Pilots on the front and it is a pure joy to drive. These cars were originally sold with performance tires, that was what the designers envisioned...not Hankook Mileage Plus II tires. A 205 50 16 will change the dynamics of the car, but as I go around corners, my confidence in staying on the road will return. At the moment every time I make a turn or put it in first I'm worried about traction.

So the argument (with me) comes down to spending $2000+ for a set of 14 inch Vredestein, Blockley or Coker, or get a set of 16 Maxilites with Pilots for $1600.  And there is also the factor of replacing in the future a damaged tire

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 00:04:24 »
Leonard, yes of course my comment was very much intended as humor, and naturally you can do whatever you like with your car. Just keeping it on the road and moving is better than letting it rust and sit in a garage.
I like the tricolour, mine is also an Italian delivered Pagoda complete with round side indicators.
The kinder seat, yes, enough said. All cars are only original once and over time changes should be made to improve safety and handling. I recently added LED headlights so now I can actually see at night. A simple change that can easily be reverted back by the next owner, as can tires and rims etc.
Looking forward to seeing what your time and money produces.
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 16:46:40 »
I hear you but driving with both the 195 75 14 Hankook and 205 60 14 Michelin Pilots, I'll take Pilots any day ....  A 205 50 16 will change the dynamics of the car, but as I go around corners, my confidence in staying on the road will return.
Did you do anything else when changing these tire sizes?  I would think your speedo would be off and your engine would be revving higher to maintain "normal" speeds, let alone fast sporty driving.

Also, we have a forum just for non-standard "refinements".   ;D  https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?board=18.0
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 14:14:38 »
Rodd
You are correct so long as your rear wheels are 205 60's. Only my front are. I probably bought the last set of Michelin Pilots 205 60 14s and only ran them on the front. I don't like the idea of the 111 front sitting 1 inch lower but when I'm driving around hills and curves the grip is amazing and I really push it, which I never do with the 113. I've also checked that site out.....hmmm an electric 113?

Dave- I like your sense of humor ( I was once called anal retard at work, but corrected him; ' that's MR ANAL RETARD to you '). I've also looked at LED's and I wish I still had the round side lights from Italy. Sometimes I go to classic car races at our local racetrack and ask drivers/owners what they think of converting their cars to electric, as one day all cars will have to be electric.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 16:36:02 »
.... and I wish I still had the round side lights from Italy.
You can get them.  Same as what Fiats used, from what I understand.  Don't search MB sources, search Fiat, Alfa Romeo, etc.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL