Author Topic: MB - Tex vs. Leather  (Read 1485 times)

scottjk

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, NORMANDY PARK
MB - Tex vs. Leather
« on: July 03, 2023, 20:31:46 »
I'm restoring my father's 280SL. Interior code 140. At first I thought leather might be a nice upgrade but from further reading I'm debating that now. From an originality stand point it seems like I should stick with vinyl. I will keep this car for at least another 30 years as a driver. What is the consensus of installing a full leather kit in a MBTex original car?

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
Re: MB - Tex vs. Leather
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 00:06:59 »
I love the MB Tex it is almost indestructible. Attached is a photo of my original December 1969 MB Tex I took out to clean.
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 10:49:16 »
I have the original leather in my one owner 280SL.  It is certainly more delicate than MB Tex but it has a more subtle feel and after over 50 years, when you open the door to enter, the leather smell is unbelievably pleasant.  It will remain as long as I remain the custodian.

Having said that, I am the third owner of a very original W108 acquired early this year that has what I believe to be the original MB Tex interior, still in excellent condition.  It is parchment as is the W113 leather.  Barring some catastrophe, I can’t imagine the Tex needing to be changed in my lifetime.  I certainly would not consider switching it now.  I am also a believer in keeping these cars as original as possible.  If I were you, and considering your intent to drive the car for another 30 years, I would stick with MB Tex. 

Unfortunately I don’t have good interior pictures with me in Italy.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 12:56:52 »
You are lucky enough to live in the US...
In Europe, finding MB tex seat covers is difficult; the only remaining suppliers are...american, which means custom and shipping fees.
MB tex nearly at the price of leather!!
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 14:22:17 »
I just had my MB Tex seats recovered in GAHH vinyl and can provide a couple of observations. The vinyl you buy today is nothing like the original vinyl. I agonized over my interior for a long time but my original MB Tex seat covers were really unserviceable. The grain of my original MB Tex is deeply carved and quite striking. In comparison, the new vinyl has very little relief.

I paid a shop $3,500 to cover the 2 door cards, the seats, the top dash pad and the pad on the soft top hatch which was more than the material from GAHH cost. So, if you think you want leather, keep in mind that, unless you plan to do the work yourself, the cost to install is a factor - it shouldn't cost more to install leather than vinyl. Knowing what I know now, with all the guidance available here, I would have taken a stab at doing it myself - but at least its done.

So, if your original MB-Tex will work with a good cleaning I would suggest keeping it. If you have to replace and are considering leather, bear in mind that the install cost is probably the same for leather as for vinyl and that the replacement vinyl won't look much like the original.   
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 14:44:22 »
My car's MB Tex will be 55 years old this month and it still looks (and smells) like new. It held up surprising well as many miles over the years were driven with the top down. I am unfamiliar with today's product mentioned by Lee but I would not expect it to hold up like the original. Like Ralph's leather, the old MB Tex has unique but not unpleasant smell. My 250SL had MB tex as well but from what I remember, that material did not have such pronounced "grain" and was more uniform in color.

John
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 14:59:46 by 49er »
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

scottjk

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, NORMANDY PARK
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 03:35:16 »
Thanks John. My father's car was a daily driver and the seats needed to be recovered probably 10 years ago. The current seats were done in the 'new' MB Tex and I'm not a big fan. Your pictures show how much more subtle the color and grain pattern of the original material was. It actually looks like leather to me. I feel the new Cognac MB Tex looks super artificial.

I'll be trailering the car home to Seattle this week and starting the deep dive. I'm still on the fence about originality or potential beauty and new leather smell.

My car's MB Tex will be 55 years old this month and it still looks (and smells) like new. It held up surprising well as many miles over the years were driven with the top down. I am unfamiliar with today's product mentioned by Lee but I would not expect it to hold up like the original. Like Ralph's leather, the old MB Tex has unique but not unpleasant smell. My 250SL had MB tex as well but from what I remember, that material did not have such pronounced "grain" and was more uniform in color.

John

scottjk

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, NORMANDY PARK
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 03:37:04 »
Thanks for the insightful post. I'm not a huge fan of the current Cognac MB Tex that's available from GAHH and others. I'll be on the fence for a bit while I work out the mechanicals.

I just had my MB Tex seats recovered in GAHH vinyl and can provide a couple of observations. The vinyl you buy today is nothing like the original vinyl. I agonized over my interior for a long time but my original MB Tex seat covers were really unserviceable. The grain of my original MB Tex is deeply carved and quite striking. In comparison, the new vinyl has very little relief.

I paid a shop $3,500 to cover the 2 door cards, the seats, the top dash pad and the pad on the soft top hatch which was more than the material from GAHH cost. So, if you think you want leather, keep in mind that, unless you plan to do the work yourself, the cost to install is a factor - it shouldn't cost more to install leather than vinyl. Knowing what I know now, with all the guidance available here, I would have taken a stab at doing it myself - but at least its done.

So, if your original MB-Tex will work with a good cleaning I would suggest keeping it. If you have to replace and are considering leather, bear in mind that the install cost is probably the same for leather as for vinyl and that the replacement vinyl won't look much like the original.   

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 14:20:11 »
I'm so jealous of you guys with the original coverings!! I have a complete set of original 280SE seats, front and back with door cards in cognac leather. Every now and then I think about having a shop disassemble them and re-sew them for my 220SE convertible but focused currently on the 280SL. Plus, finding a shop and the cost is another deterrent.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 17:07:44 »
I agonised (and occasionally still do!) over the decision to keep/restore the original Tex covers or replace with new... ultimately I decided to go with new because the PO was a smoker, and there were also a few small tears in the seats and along the door window sills that would need addressing... I figured that given the labour charges to remove the covers and repair them, with the risk of causing further damage and no guarantees of how they would turn out, I was better off buying the new set.

I am (mostly) glad I did so, but still kept the old seat covers for some reason...  ::)

1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment