Author Topic: Hot starts issue - solved I think.  (Read 965 times)

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
Hot starts issue - solved I think.
« on: July 03, 2023, 14:53:57 »
I have recently had a real worsening hot start issue. My 230 would NOT start when hot or even warm.  Used to be a bit of a pain hot starting, but recently it would NOT start unless left until cold then would start reluctantly.

My Injection pump is the one with the single solenoid on the back which I think is the fuel shut off to help with emissions.

Today I drove the car for 10 mins, It started perfectly from cold, ran perfectly.  After 10 mins stopped the engine.  1 min later tried to restart would NOT start.

Scratched head...........

Just now, Took the live wire OFF the solenoid.   Started the car from cold, perfect.   Ran until hot. Turned off and waited 1 min.  Started PERFECTLY.   Left for 5 mins. Started PERFECTLY.

Hope its the answer.  Will report back if not!.

PS - don't think the head scratching is needed but might help!

Paul.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Hot starts issue - solved I think.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 17:44:43 »

My Injection pump is the one with the single solenoid on the back which I think is the fuel shut off to help with emissions.

No, the single solenoid is for starting aid. Only where you have two solenoids do you have fuel shut-off.

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 18:42:16 »
Hello Paul, as far as i remember you should only get a + feed to the FIP solenoid for 1 second when the engine is hot when starting.  Perhaps check for voltage there when you try and start it hot and see what you get.  If you're getting more than 1 second, maybe your timer relay/time switch is faulty, they have bi metallic strip contacts, which i guess could misshape with age and give a longer signal to the solenoid, and there's also an adjustment screw inside them.  I guess the heater coil could also be open circuit, thus the contacts are staying closed.  If you're getting a signal for longer than one second then maybe the engine is flooding

Have a look on here

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Engine/TimeSwitch

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 19:07:53 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 19:14:22 »
I will check it . It must be that it was pushing too much fuel in as it absolutely would not start but as soon as I took the feed wire off it started instantly.