Author Topic: 280SL Full Restoration Recommendation  (Read 950 times)

scottjk

• Junior Level
  • USA, WA, NORMANDY PARK
280SL Full Restoration Recommendation
« on: July 02, 2023, 16:53:10 »
My parents recently passed and I've decided to restore my father's single owner 280SL. I know it's been repainted a couple of times and the current paint is in terrible condition including peeling all the way to metal. Cursory undercarriage inspection shows rust and holes in the rocker area on both sides. The car spent it's life in Salt Lake City but was driven sparingly during the winter and shows various decay in the lower fender area as well as engine bay wall where fenders mate but no major holes or rot.  Rear shock towers are 100% but top of gas tank is showing surface rust.

Plan is to do the tear down myself and purchase parts as necessary. Engine will be shipped out for complete rebuild as well as transmission.

Ultimately I'd like to get the car completely stripped to see what I'm actually dealing with. I realize the that the rabbit hole might be super deep. Do you guys have any recommendations on the best way to go about this? I've found a couple of chemical dippers in the Oregon area. I'm not worried about recouping my restore costs but I'd like to limit the downside risk to a reasonable level.

Any recommendations, info, experience would be greatly appreciate. 

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: 280SL Full Restoration Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 17:09:39 »
Please post some pictures so we can see what you are starting with.  The body will be most challenging to have done correctly.  Make sure it is restorable before any money is spent on other parts.  We love to see these projects and your progress along the way.  Good luck and welcome to the group.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: 280SL Full Restoration Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 17:28:20 »
If you do everything it needs, a full restoration as your title says it is going to be close to a $200k endeavor in the U.S. But the good news, is a 280SL can hold that value. Concours restored 280SL bring over that, even after selling fees. I know you don't intend to sell, just answering your question and letting you know there is little risk at current market valuations.  Also plan for 2 years time if you are working on it almost everyday.

The most expensive categories will be welding sheet metal, body prep, paint, chrome. Engine and transmission are 2 of the easier items to facilitate.
1969 280SL