Author Topic: DATA PLATES  (Read 2161 times)

Yooks

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, London
DATA PLATES
« on: June 06, 2023, 14:27:28 »
Can anyone put me in touch with someone who supplies a full set of data plates for W113?
Many thanks

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: DATA PLATES
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 14:46:04 »

http://pagode-markt.de/
His name is Memmo.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Yooks

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 06:47:50 »
Thank you

Yooks

• Junior Level
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 13:23:50 »
I contacted the suggested party but they were not very helpfull. Can anyone suggest a company that will supply the data and vin plates?

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 14:54:12 »
What happened? I found him very helpful and responsive.
I believe he is also a member here.
Anyway, you can buy blanks (e-bay) and stamp them yourself? 
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 20:04:42 »
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

Sead

• Vendor
  • Senior
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 08:34:55 »
I contacted the suggested party but they were not very helpfull. Can anyone suggest a company that will supply the data and vin plates?

I know him in person. Best address for what you are looking for.
Just be patient, say clearly what you want and do not ask too much  ;) ;D
1964 230SL

Memmo

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Germany,
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 17:59:39 »
Hi,

at the end he ordered by me and got them.

It is mostly not easy with some people.
;)

Memmo

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 19:17:01 »
...you can buy blanks (e-bay) and stamp them yourself...

One should note that for authenticity, the data plates are not stamped, but they are embossed. Big difference in look, and one is correct and the other is not. Embossing takes a special machine. The top photo is the end result and that is on my car. Note some of the "variable data" is part of the plate's manufacture. The true variable data, the VIN, is embossed. On the incorrect version, much of the data is left out and most of it is stamped in. Not correct if authenticity is what you are after.

I went through this exercise some years back and ended up with "incorrect" as well as a "correct" data plates. Took months to explain to the multiple parties involved, sort it out and find an embosser but as you can see, I did. The embosser was the company that makes the "dog tag" machines for the US Military.

All this to get it right...but I probably have some hose clamps that are not correct! LOL
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 19:21:43 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Memmo

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Germany,
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 20:07:57 »
My tags are also embossed.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 04:31:33 »
One should note that for authenticity, the data plates are not stamped, but they are embossed. Big difference in look, and one is correct and the other is not. Embossing takes a special machine. The top photo is the end result and that is on my car. Note some of the "variable data" is part of the plate's manufacture. The true variable data, the VIN, is embossed. On the incorrect version, much of the data is left out and most of it is stamped in. Not correct if authenticity is what you are after.

I went through this exercise some years back and ended up with "incorrect" as well as a "correct" data plates. Took months to explain to the multiple parties involved, sort it out and find an embosser but as you can see, I did. The embosser was the company that makes the "dog tag" machines for the US Military.
All this to get it right...but I probably have some hose clamps that are not correct! LOL
There is more than "stamping" vs "embossing" to consider when the goal is to have a correct and authentic-looking VIN plate, especially for an early (1968-1969) US version 280SL. As long as the original plate is available then the task is relatively easy since a correct template is available. When the plate is lost as in Mike's case then the task becomes more tricky.
When M-B introduced the 280SL in the USA for reasons unknown it decided to include the number of seats on the VIN plate as shown on the plate in my 1964 280SL. The Pagoda became a 3-seater!! On European cars the VIN plate did not change and did not show this, thus the discussion here applies only to US version 280SL.
It took about a year before M-B realized what they did and the VIN plate changed to indicate that a US 280SL is still a 2-seater roadster. Some time ago I together with Brian Peters at MotoringInvestmens and Memmo looked at a significant number of VIN plates to see when the change happened.
The lowest VIN number with a 3-seater 280SL plate that we found was on 113-044-12-005669 and the earliest VIN number with a 2-seater 280SL was on one of Memmo's customers 044-10-0068XX.
Also note that in addition to the seat capacity change there is also now an asterisk (*) after the VIN number.
Starting with VIN 113-044-12-015495 the VIN plate was redesigned again, it now includes the year of manufacture and the 2-seat capacity is in the bottom row.
The good news is that if you need a new VIN plate for your US version 280SL Memmo has the correct templates and also the correct embossing machine.
It would be nice if owners of US 280SL cars with VIN numbers between 005669 and 0068XX would chime in here and post a photo, perhaps we can further narrow down the change over.

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 12:46:57 »
Thanks, Alfred--yes Memmo has the correct "plates" to start with. At the time I did my exercise (in which YOU ended up with a FREE plate with YOUR VIN on it), he did not offer embossing only stamping/engraving. That's why I just got blanks from him. When I gave the embosser MY VIN and a photo of YOUR plate, he didn't read my note correctly and embossed your VIN. Sigh. I did get it right the second time and anticipating such a mistake is why I thought ahead and bought two blanks. The photo I had provided to the embosser was Alfred's exact, real and authentic (but kind of old and beat up) data plate. I wanted the embosser to know exactly what it should look like but with my VIN. Instead he duplicated the photo...

The astute amongst you will note one commonality in all of Alfred's photos, despite the fact that the data tags are slightly different. They are all RIVETED in place, not screwed...and that's why in the bottom of my tool chest is a pop-rivet tool!  :)

It seems that in many comprehensive re-paints or restorations, the original data plates are removed and many get lost...which is why so many go missing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 12:52:06 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 15:42:13 »
This is an interesting story about the evolution of these data plates.  One thing I noticed was the change in weight reported on the earlier and later plates.  Does anyone why there’s a 60 pound difference?  I would have thought the later models would have been heavier not lighter what with emissions, rear window defogger, etc. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)