Author Topic: Sorting out my Pagoda  (Read 1353 times)

230SLfunfGange

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Cooperstown
Sorting out my Pagoda
« on: June 04, 2023, 13:02:16 »
Just drove my 66 230SL for the first time yesterday since recommissioning it last year. I bought it in 2001 on eBay and used it on weekends until 2009. It was parked and covered until last year. New fuel tank, pumps and filters, fluid changes etc. Had an awesome run from Cooperstown to Queensbury to attend the Cars, Castles and Kids event at Roglieri’s house yesterday. 80, 90, 100-ran like a dream. The 5 speed is just infinitely better cruising on the highway. But need to sort a few things out and hoping for some advice.
1. Exhaust fumes filling the cabin under 60mph. I run this as a coupé as I’m not much of a soft top guy. The exhaust system is weak with a few leaks and perforations here and there. It was horrible.
2. With fuel more than half full raw gas fumes filling the cabin when pulling away or going up hills. It’s a wonder we didn’t become asphyxiated yesterday.
3. The steering has become very vague. Lots of play in steering where a crown on the road will turn the course of the car. My w111 was the same way.
4. Lots of vibrations in any gear under load. More like a tuning fork than something out of balance. Bushings
perhaps?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I love this car and want to keep it as a driver until the end!

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: Sorting out my Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 16:24:42 »
1. Call Timevalve and order a complete stainless steel exhaust and be done.

2. If you didn't already do so, check and replace the cork gasket in the trunk where the fuel sending unit mounts.

3. Likely causes...steering bushings in shaft (takes 2 people to visually check), internal slop in steering box, outer tie rods.

4. Inspect motor mounts and subframe mounts
1969 280SL

230SLfunfGange

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Cooperstown
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 19:19:08 »
Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like you’ve had experience with timevalve. Will the car still have that raspy in-line 6 sound with this exhaust system? All the other suggestions are great. All make common sense.

lowpad

• Senior
  • USA, CT, New Preston
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 14:59:54 »
There seem to be varied opinions regarding the Timevalve exhaust note. I find it a bit raspy — and I love it.

Vander’s suggestion on the steering bushings is likely right on. Had the same problem. Totally changed the character of the car after replacement.

Good luck!
1966 230SL (6/66 build)
French export
4-speed manual
158 Exterior / 040 Hardtop
2001 SLK230
1996 Porsche 993
1991 Acura NSX

230SLfunfGange

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Cooperstown
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 16:01:25 »
Thanks for the additional advice on time valve. My current exhaust is pretty raspy and I know it’s mostly because it’s perforated in several areas. Lol but I hope to keep some of the raspiness if you will. I just looked at your profile and I see you have a 66 French export which mine is as well. it was delivered at one of the dealers in Paris. Special ordered for a doctors, wife, with power steering, and a five speed.