Author Topic: 230SL Ignition switch Replacement  (Read 1298 times)

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
230SL Ignition switch Replacement
« on: May 29, 2023, 17:53:25 »
My 230SL ignition electrical switch is beginning to fail and I would like to replace the electrical switch, #96,  attached to the rear of the steering lock.  My question is how?  Everything behind the dash is difficult and I have been behind it several times but never far enough to reach the ignition switch.

My thoughts are to remove the tach, gauge cluster and speedometer.  Can the switch be reached from there.  I also thought about going from the radio access and removing the cigarette lighter but I doubt that there is room to get to the switch.   The one item that I would not want to remove is the heater blower.   Will I need to remove the steering column?

Has anyone done this job without removing "everything".
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: 230SL Ignition switch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 19:37:13 »
My 230SL ignition electrical switch is beginning to fail and I would like to replace the electrical switch, #96,  attached to the rear of the steering lock.  My question is how?  Everything behind the dash is difficult and I have been behind it several times but never far enough to reach the ignition switch.

My thoughts are to remove the tach, gauge cluster and speedometer.  Can the switch be reached from there.

That is correct my friend, yo get acceso to it by removing steering wheel, tacho, speedometer and central instrument cluster.

Enjoy your long Saturday fixing that part of your lovely pagoda

Best regards
L.peterssen

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 20:01:18 »
You will have to remove the three slotted screws. I reassembled the steering lock as a unit. You may want consider that if you have a hard time getting to the screws in the back.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 20:10:19 by dirkbalter »
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 20:26:54 »
Dirk .... Great picture, tight but a little room. 

Peterson ....  Thanks; I know the amount of work as I have had the speedometer out a couple of times.
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK