Author Topic: How to open my softtop roof when the release handle does not work ?  (Read 978 times)

Theo

• Junior Level
  • Netherlands, Limburg, Maastricht
Hi , i am very new on this forum
And just found the new topic button

In my tunis beige 250 sl 68 - for me brand new 😀- the in another topic called ‘rear center latch ( pin)’ and the passenger catch of the soft top lid does NOT release if i pull the appropriate handle to the front site of the car
The soft top is on but i cannot put it away, no way to drive it as a open car 😢
It got stuck or a cable problem?
How to reach this mechanism ? Where to open?
Any trick i can try ? Wonderfull sunshine here in the Netherlands…
Thank you for any suggestion or help
Theo
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:20:59 by Theo »

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: How to open my softtop roof ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 11:24:32 »
Hello Theo, nice to meet you

I'm not clear if you're saying the rear handle doesn't open the soft top storage compartment lid, or if you mean the handles at the front, top of the windscreen are not releasing the soft top at the front of the car?  If you can explain more, someone will be able to assist

If you use the search function above left, search for "soft top" "soft top release", soft top/hard top handle", any combination of words and you'll find lots written about the subject, most questions have been asked and answered before

If it's your soft top compartment handle that's not releasing, there's a write up in the technical manual, also above left,  as to how to open it, but you'll need to subscribe as a full member to access the subject, which is well worth the small fee if you're going to use and maintain and enjoy your car

Please keep us posted

Bob
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Theo

• Junior Level
  • Netherlands, Limburg, Maastricht
Thank you Bob

Made myself full member and hope to find how to open the rear soft top storage compartment cover and or release the rear central fixation of the soft top in order to fold the roof into te storage compartment
( it will not release by the handle so i cannot fold my roof into that compartment )
( Front handles without problem : no cable work there )

🙏🙏

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Hi,
to open the softtop, the convertible top compartment lid must be opened. This is done with the chrome lever behind the driver's seat. This unlocks the two locking hooks (left and right under the chrome cover near the door; no. 71, 72). Here the left side of the lock is moved directly, the other side is moved by a cable (no. 80) which also unlocks the softtop catch (no. 70) in the middle of the softtop box at the same time.
If the cable pull shows no reaction to the right-hand lock, you can try to open the lock using the hole in the trunk using a suitable hook, see Techn. Man. https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop#BrokenHandle.
...WRe

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Thank you Bob

Made myself full member and hope to find how to open the rear soft top storage compartment cover and or release the rear central fixation of the soft top in order to fold the roof into te storage compartment
( it will not release by the handle so i cannot fold my roof into that compartment )
( Front handles without problem : no cable work there )

🙏🙏

Money well spent!

Be careful when you close the soft top to store it, have a read about folding it down correctly, or else you can have trouble next time you want to put the top back up

Good luck!
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold