Author Topic: Windscreen - roof locking catch issue, screws pulling out  (Read 940 times)

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. On my drivers side (RHD) roof catch screws that fix the catch (with locking arm) to the top of the windscreen frame are coming out. The screw threads seem ok so I’m guessing the captive thread (inside the windscreen frame) is the problem. This means I can’t reliably secure the soft top so I need to fix it somehow. There may already be a thread on this but I couldn’t find one.. any pointers gratefully received.

Paul

Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Windscreen - roof locking catch issue, screws pulling out
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 00:34:57 »
I think the screws are not the correct ones.  Mine are counter sunk flat heads.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 00:42:47 »
Here's hoping these incorrect screws were not used because of, or were the cause of, captice thread damage.  Fingers crossed.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 11:59:57 »
Thanks guys.. you are right and I need to get hold of the correct M6 screws. Seems the current screws are M6 but too short and the wrong head style. If run a longer M6 bolt into the captive nut the grip seems fine fortunately. I’ll know for sure when I put the correct screws in and tighten everything down (fingers crossed).

I had the leather re trimmed a while ago and maybe the trimmer put the wrong screws back.. else they’ve always been wrong in the 32 yrs I’ve had the car. SLS say these are correct screws (M6 x 12mm) :

Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue