Author Topic: What is the clear vinyl sheet to protect top/seal when raise/lower top  (Read 1278 times)

sl113newguy

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Francisco
  • ...just getting started
The small clear vinyl/plastic pieces that drape over the side of the car when raising and lowering the top, and then are placed over and tucked into the top when put down...have done missing  >:(

Just wondering what size these are and what type of vinyl (15 mil maybe?). I think it basically is just a clear vinyl sheeting I can go find at Amazon or the like, but if any other thoughts please let me know!
Thanks forum
1968 280SL Automatic (USA) 350 Medium Blue

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
I use acetate sheets intended for making overhead transparencies.  They’re 8-1/2 x 11 and work just fine.  I got mine at Staples. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Hi New Guy,
There is very little space under the forward arms of the horse shoe cover and the plastic is there to protect the soft top material, which would be in direct contact with the cover, without the vinyl protection. The vinyl sheet is not as thick as 15 mm. I would hazard a guess of 2 to 3 mm. My hard top is on the car, so I can’t have a quick look, sorry!
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
I just cut my protectors from a plastic gallon water jug.  Cut off the top and the bottom, use the sides to fashion two "elbows"

Here is a pic....
They are 5 inches wide.

Make sure you round off any sharp corners.

Norm
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
I use a couple of the 1-gallon size Hefty Zip-Lok freezer bags.  They are pretty thick and about 10 inches wide, so they protect a longer section of the seal from being chafed by the top material when raising/lowering the soft top.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Ronmurr

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
I just went to a craft/fabric store. They had rolls of various thickness of clear plastic sheets. I bought a foot very inexpensive and just cut a piece out

Hans2012

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
I am using two rectangles of MBTex - it is more pliable that Ziploc bags and works well. 

JSP
Texas
1971 280 SL - 268 Dark Green - Cognac Leather
Restored

lagolag

• Senior
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Askim
I’m using the same material used in the windows for boat canopy purchased where boat equipment is sold.
230SL 1967 since July 2021
SL55 AMG 2003 since July 2008
Suzuki Cappuccino 1995 since May 2006, Sold