Author Topic: W. PA, NE Ohio Paint work recommendation  (Read 1757 times)

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
W. PA, NE Ohio Paint work recommendation
« on: May 01, 2023, 02:49:14 »
Can anyone suggest a painter to do some minor touch-ups on my car? I’m in Pittsburgh, so Akron, Cleveland,Youngstown areas are also fairly convenient. I have a few spots where paint has chipped and would like to have them repaired while avoiding “project creep” that leads to entire panels being painted. Looking for a trusted craftsman!
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: W. PA, NE Ohio Paint work recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 11:52:38 »
Finding a good paint shop willing to do work on a classic vehicle is getting increasingly difficult. I have two friends who own paint shops in the Cleveland/Akron area who have done accident work for me and neither one of them wants to do anything but "insurance" jobs.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 14:17:51 »
Can anyone suggest a painter to do some minor touch-ups on my car? I’m in Pittsburgh, so Akron, Cleveland,Youngstown areas are also fairly convenient. I have a few spots where paint has chipped and would like to have them repaired while avoiding “project creep” that leads to entire panels being painted. Looking for a trusted craftsman!

Anybody--and I mean any body shop, paint shop, etc. can handle minor paint chips and those little bits of road rash. You can even do it yourself with many of the tools out there and touch up paint. Look in any of the auto magazines and you'll see ads for Dr. Color Chip, Automotive Touchup and probably a few more. Many of the better detail shops will use these and other similar tools to touch up these minor paint blemishes.

There's a good reason for what you call "project creep". Now, touching up little specks of road rash and paint chips is one thing...but even small areas of paint/body repair almost necessitate re-sprays of larger areas. Certain colors, including metallics and red, almost necessitate this approach. In 2011, I had a minor repair on the right upper fender. That necessitated the respray of the entire front clip and hood, and careful blending so that you don't know there was ever a repair. They did a spectacular job. Then in 2019-2021 I had my driver's door replaced (putting a proper 280SL door onto my 280SL and removing the old 230SL door) and that necessitated nearly the same painting protocol. Nobody--and I mean NOBODY can tell what was painted or not; yes they are that good...

...which is why AlexD's 250SL, which was T-Boned in a horrific crash last year here in North Carolina, is at Motorwerks Group in Commerce Township (outside of Detroit) Michigan. These guys KNOW the Pagodas. They have been the only place doing any kind of work on my car in the past 20 years. Alex had all the mechanical repairs done locally by Max Scroggs at A Better Wrench in Chapel Hill, NC...but when it came to the body work, his car was shipped to Michigan.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 17:53:17 »
I'm looking for someone experienced with 60's & 70's Mercedes because the work will involve removing some of the chrome trim around the windshield, replacing the windshield and gasket (which I believe involves removing some of the wood dash trim).  The chrome covering the A-pillar will also need to be removed so that a chip that originates at the base can be repaired.  I know several body shops locally and none of them are either interested or qualified.  This is a relatively small job, but in a fairly prominent spot on the car.
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 23:47:37 »
I live in Butler Pa and had "Weichey's Quality Auto Glass" remove and replace my windshield seal several years ago.  They did a perfect job with the glass and seal.  I'm not sure who you would want to do the paint work though.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 00:31:49 »
...someone experienced with 60's & 70's Mercedes...removing some of the chrome trim...replacing the windshield and gasket...chrome covering the A-pillar will also need to be removed...

Well, if you need to remove the windshield and associated trim, along with A pillar trim, I wouldn't call that a small job--but that's just me. If you cannot find anyone locally, give Satish at Motorwerks a call. He'd be happy to look at detailed photos. Yes, it's a 4 hour plus drive from Pittsburgh, but if nobody local can do it...you may need to go further than you want to. Maybe @Mike Simon will chime in here, surely he knows someone in Cleveland who can do this for you?

Project Creep: let's see. We have the windshield out, it's WAY easier to remove the dash wood, maybe we should do that? Hmm...that windshield is 35 years old and kind of pitted. Why put it back. Maybe I should get a new one...

...and that's exactly how I got a new windshield and and new wood a couple of years ago when I just wanted my door replaced.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bill Sgro

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Bradenton
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 01:47:29 »
The Finishing Edge in Twinsburg Ohio has extensive experience with 113s.  Mike has done work for Me, Pete Lesler and many others.  I believe he painted Jon Bernardi's car also.  Twinsburg is on southeast of Cleveland, so it is in the general vicinity you requested. 
1970 280SL
1970 300SEL 3.5

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 21:09:17 »
Thanks Bill, I’ll give them a call.
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa

Bill Sgro

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Bradenton
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 07:22:25 »
Please mention my name.  I live in Florida now, but when I am back in Cleveland I try to stop in and say hi to Mike.  His sons work for him now.  Nice family shop. 
1970 280SL
1970 300SEL 3.5

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 20:21:43 »
Bill,  I spoke with Mike from Finishing Edge this afternoon and he informed me the shop is only doing collision work.  The reason being - that the "young guys" don't want to work on the "old stuff".  Seems to be the way that a lot of shops are headed so if you know of a shop still doing body work on our cars, please let me know.

Thanks for help.
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa