Author Topic: Heater Valve  (Read 1349 times)

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Heater Valve
« on: April 21, 2023, 01:29:45 »
Hello all, when I purchased my 69 280SL, the heater core was bypassed. I did a smoke test on it today and found the O ring was leaking. I was able to manually open and close the valve, so I'm hopeful that all I need to do is replace the O ring. The Sealing ring, heater valve O ring is available from Authentic for a few bucks. I'm sure that I'm missing something here, but where are the gotchas when replacing this O ring. Would you consider this a difficult process? Is the heater core removal a difficult process.

Thanks again for the knowledge transfer.

Tim

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Heater Valve
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 02:15:40 »
Those with experience and skill can replace the o-ring with the heater core and valve still in the car. There are many pit falls, the biggest of which is dropping small parts into the "dark abyss" never to be seen again.

Removing the whole assembly from the car is tedious and difficult also it involves removing the heater controls, glove box, ac evaporator unit, and more.

In the car replacement of the o-ring is the best option. Get familiar with all the parts and get good advice every step of the way.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 02:28:05 »
Thanks for the reply ja17. This process might be too much for me, so hopefully my mechanic can manage this. My car is a non AC car, so if the heater core needs to come out, it might be a little easier otherwise. Thanks again.

Tim

lowpad

• Senior
  • USA, CT, New Preston
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 03:09:25 »
FWIW, I just took out the fan box on my 230SL due to a cranky blower motor (somewhat easier with no A/C and no radio). After reading the many helpful posts here on the subject, I felt informed enough to take it on. It is tedious, but it's not an impossible task as long as you don't move too fast and document every step. I thought that extricating the blower would be it, but once the heater core was uncovered, I discovered that it had come loose from its brackets and that it, too, now needed to be removed to be resoldered. Haven't started that yet, but it looks fairly straightforward.

The one thing that would be helpful in all of this would be detailed photos of all the added foam that pervades the system. Like most of our cars, I suspect, my foam turned to dust as I was taking it apart and it would be really helpful to have some photos of the correct foam installation for all the relevant components -- as well as specs for the type(s) of foam to use.

1966 230SL (6/66 build)
French export
4-speed manual
158 Exterior / 040 Hardtop
2001 SLK230
1996 Porsche 993
1991 Acura NSX

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 04:03:43 »
Thanks lowpad, I'm hopeful that the valve is the issue and my efforts will be localized to the o ring. As with most projects, it will most likely be deeper and more complex.

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 04:45:46 »
One more point, Authentic also sells a Heater Valve Core for $45. Would your suggestion be to replace the existing valve with the new valve or just replace the O ring for the valve? Does the valve have to come out to replace the O ring?

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 05:44:29 »
Hi,
Replacing the sealing ring in the heater valve is no rocket science. Use a spark plug to pull the valve out: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/HeaterControlValve.
I recommend using an X-ring instead of the O-ring as it allows the valve to move more easily and still safely (17,6 x 12,3 x 2,62mm; https://lelebeck.de/17501.htm).
Dismanteling the entire heating system is a tremendously unpleasant job: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=36270.msg265019#msg265019.
...WRe

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 14:00:24 »
Thanks again WRe, this helps and thanks for the advice.

Tim

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 15:56:55 »
Tim,

Search, search, search.  There should be posts from others doing this same work.  Maybe you can find something good in the Tech Manual (wiki)?  These forums have been around 20 years, so your answers are probably out there.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 19:07:27 »
Tim,

I have done this job twice.  There are a couple of things to be aware of.  One is that if it has been frozen in place for a long time, the valve may be very difficult to remove.  Several of us have built extractors using a long (IIRC 4mm) bolt, some nuts, and a socket or short length of pvc pipe.  (I gave my first setup to my mechanic, kept my second.) 

The reason that I have done this twice is that the first time I didn't realize that there are different materials used in "rubber" o-rings, and using the wrong one will cause the o-ring to swell and bind.  Of course, buying the o-ring from Authentic Classics will avoid that problem.

Unless your valve is scored or otherwise deformed, there should be no reason to replace it. 

There is good information on this site about how to orient the valve and the actuating arm attached to it so that it works properly.  (I did this wrong the first time, too.  Nothing like learning from your mistakes!)

-David
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 06:13:03 »
Excellent David, thanks Tim

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 14:58:31 »
Thanks guys for all of the help. This project was very easy and took about 10 minutes given your excellent directions and details. Thank you very much for all of the information and direction. One project down several more to go.

Tim

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 18:16:13 »
Awesome!
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 20:00:17 »
For LOWPAD i have just fitted my "new" heater core in the car.... Bracket and plate welded , i have fitted a adhesive foam of 8 mm and in some place 20 mm
PANASORB ref : 1345608 and 1345311 . Quite easy after degreasing the surfaces.
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...