Author Topic: Number Plate Holder  (Read 1424 times)

Brennie

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Number Plate Holder
« on: April 20, 2023, 17:10:59 »
Hi
Quick question about front number plate holders.. my 230SL has a rather beaten chrome steel one.. (expensive to rechrome too)so, I’m looking to replace it.. MB quote ridiculous money for a new, still available one.. are these interchangeable with other models and were there changes introduced for later W113s…  you can get chrome steel ones for £8 on line but, they have sharp edges and look cheap..

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Number Plate Holder
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 19:02:17 »
Hello, i'm not sure what style of plate you have, mine is the pressed aluminium type, which has an integral border, could be original, i'm not sure.  You don't need any other backing plate or frame with these, might be an option for you

https://www.framptonsplates.com/Home/CategoryDetails?categoryID=3a032ee2-3cf8-4742-8ee4-477973951eaa&type=CAR
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 19:40:35 »
License Plate Molding Front, all models, 123 817 0378
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Brennie

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 22:29:16 »
Yes
Thank you.. I see that.. it says R107 back plate frame/holder.. I can get those at varying prices.. I’m just wondering if they are the same as the one I have on my early 230SL?
Did they change? Become lighter .. shiny steel rather than chrome?
This is the R107 .. £50 or less … 230SL ..£150ish ..

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 11:07:53 »
Why don't you post a picture of the current holder so that we are not all guessing as to what you want.

Brennie

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 11:36:57 »
Er! Yes.. that would be a good idea.. unfortunately, it’s at a chromers.. still debating whether to give them the go ahead..

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 15:09:16 »
GermanPlates.com makes  both a backing plate and a plate surround (chrome colored plastic} which is reasonable looking, either as a permanent or temporary replacement

jb
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 15:14:09 »
Are you looking for some "structural" bracket that will cover the pointy bumper with a flat surface?
Are you looking for some "decorative" plate that will give some shiny trim around the plate?

Here's my "structural" bracket with a US plate on it.  I had to drill holes in my US plate in order to mount it to this bracket.  It originally had a little Italian plate on it from 1966-1976.  When I got the car in 2000, you could still faintly see some of the Italian plate number digits on it, from the "road grime" I guess.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

Brennie

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 15:26:34 »
It’s actually the shiny chrome surround/frame that I’m looking for.. or, really advice.. my early 230 has one, but I looking for one a little less worn.. I’m just wondering if the spec changed  as 250-280s were introduced? As I say.. R107 ones look similar but are half the price..
shiny steel as opposed to chrome I’m thinking..

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Brennie

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 15:58:34 »
Thank you all for your interest in this for me..
Yes.. I’m sure,judging by the cost, that that is the one.. just wondering also, why such a huge variation in the prices.. are the heavier/more substantial than more readily available ones?

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2023, 11:42:41 »
I've always made backing pieces for license plates from aluminum stock. It can be cut to any size you need and comes in a variety of finishes.

Brennie

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2023, 11:47:00 »
I see.. cool.. it’s the one underneath there that I’m interested in..

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 21:53:23 »
That one was original equipment when my mother bought the car new so many years ago.

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 02:57:48 »
When my car was delivered at the factory it came with the oval shape German customs plates.  The mounting of the plates was a bid crude with no attempt at esthetics.  The rear plate was notched to fit around the trunk lock and was drilled for attachment with two bolts with spacing to match the factory holes in the valence.  The front plate was mounted directly to the bumper with two bolts with no spacers to maintain the plate in a verticale plane. 

With the variety of shapes and sizes of number plates around the world there was apparently no attempt by the factory to provide a standard bracket for front or rear plates for the W113. I assume dealers around the world offered solutions to fit plates in their locations.  I commented on the rear plate in the thread below and there is a drawing there for the rear mounting plate I am now using.  This works for all USA plates. 

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=15847.msg183273#msg183273

In Alabama we do not have a front plate.  It is common practice to mount a plate of your choice for esthetics.  Our lovely cars have a particularly unsightly front bumper with the long mounting slots. I also fabricated a similar mounting plate to mount my original German customs plate on the front bumper along with a couple of badges.  It provides a rigid oval backing for the Zoll plate to hold it in a vertical plane off set slightly from the bumper with thick rubber spacers.

Mounting plates such as these are fairly easy to fabricate with simple tools and in my view provide an esthetic and economic solution. My front and rear plates are pictured here.

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)