Author Topic: heater hoses, tachometer mounting clip, radiator re-core  (Read 1062 times)

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Hello group, I am in the middle of re-coring my radiator (manual trans) and will be replacing all of the hoses related to the radiator and heating systems. My 69 280SL has been off the road for many years and I don't know what I need and what is missing. I have two pipe fittings coming out from the firewall, which I think are the heater connections. Can someone tell/show me what I need to buy/find in order to get these pieces properly installed. BTW, it is a non AC car.

I also noticed the tachometer cable that connects to the distributor is free flowing and looks like it should have a connection at the throttle linkage. I'm sure I'm not describing this properly.

Lastly, the re-coring of my radiator is quite expensive($800), so I wanted to make sure I have the needed replacement hoses so that I'm not replacing them, one at a time.

Thanks for your knowledge.

Tim
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 05:36:21 by timjshanahan »

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: heater hoses, tachometer mounting clip, radiator re-core
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 07:23:01 »
Hi,
Yes,  the two pipe fittings coming out from the firewall are the heater exchange connections.
If you look here https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/50-cooling-system/50-c-cooling-system-280sl you'll find all necessary hoses, even a set of hoses. You should check the rubber grommets in the firewall too.

Attached a picture of the tacho connetor at the engine. A clamp at the brake booster fixes the cable.
...WRe

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 13:04:11 »
excellent thanks for the reply. I will have to see a pic of the clamp near the brake booster. As far as I can tell, the grommet in the firewall is no longer present or has fallen behind the firewall.  The car is in the shop at the moment, so I will figure out the hoses first and then install the radiator. THX again Tim.

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 22:14:16 »
Hi Tim, Since I also live in El Do Hills, you are more than welcome to stop by and have a look at my car for reference to any questions you might have. You can message me using the forums PM link.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 06:02:37 »
I will have to see a pic of the clamp near the brake booster.

...WRe

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 13:57:55 »
perfect, thanks WRe.

Thanks to everyone on the board, this is a great group.

Tim

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 15:51:05 »
Is that clip on the brake booster a 280SL thing?  I don't have it on my 230SL.  Here's the path of my cable.
https://youtu.be/W1fMoR4GY5E
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 23:45:59 »
Did the same a couple years ago (radiator recore), for hoses, took the easy route and got this set:

https://www.authenticclassics.com/Mercedes-280SL-Cooling-System-Heater-Hose-Set-p/auth-008390.htm