Author Topic: Year of Manufacturer  (Read 2490 times)

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Year of Manufacturer
« on: April 07, 2023, 20:53:34 »
Hello, my Data Card came back with a 69 build date, yet the title states its a 1970. How do I refer to the car? Is there a difference and if so, can you please direct me to the differences? THX

Tim

49er

• Platinum
Re: Year of Manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 21:16:19 »
 Tim, my car was built in July '68 and registered in Sept here in CA. The model year change over occurred around the 1st of that month

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 21:27:01 »
Thanks John, I'm not sure when my car was built, as that information on the data card? I see that it was a 69 dealer date, but the month is not apparent. Perhaps my car was built in a similar time frame as yours, making it a transition period car?   

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 21:28:02 »
Also John, do you refer to your car as a 69 or a 68?

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 21:37:51 »
Hello Tim, If you check your VIN against this table it will tell you the month of manufacture, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see US MY details

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/USModelYear

February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 21:48:45 »
Thank you. Given my last 6 are 008162 is looks like a late January build date, therefore a 69?

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 21:59:15 »
It's a February 69 built car, so, yes it looks like a 69 model year, if i'm reading it correctly
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 22:03:02 »
So if that is the case, are there differences that I need to pay attention to while restoring the car? Should I have it corrected with the DMV so that the car is represented properly? It looks like there might be a difference in the various years in terms of value as well.

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 22:35:34 »
I can't answer your question about the DMV, but i can't see it would make much of a difference

In the Tech Manual there are a series of articles detailing the changes throughout the models and years, which are well worth a read, just search Pagodanotes for the whole set

Here are the 1969 changes, but note that the authors admit it may not be fully comprehensive

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/PagodaNotes?action=download&upname=PNv11i2.pdf

While it would be great to try and restore a car to the exact month/year specification, there will have to be compromises, due to the availability of the period correct parts, and suitably experienced labour.  As far as value, in the UK, 280's sell for more than 230's and 250's, regardless of the year of manufacture.  Value seems to be based on originality, obviously condition, mileage, ownership, possibly the colour,  where it's being sold and who's selling it

UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 02:49:30 »
Tim, welcome to the group.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the fact that your car was registered as a 1970 model though manufactured in early 1969.  For USA delivered cars, I recall having read that Mercedes Benz arbitrarily fixed the date of change of the model year each year with their dealers. 

The details of the car were not related to these arbitrary model years. If a dealer had, for example, four cars in stock with manufacturing dates spread over several months, the ones sold one day prior to this arbitrary date would have a model year one year earlier than those sold a day after the model year change over date. With this system one of the cars with a later VIN could easily be registered as a year earlier model than the others if sold before the magic change over date. 

If you want to be absolutely sure you are restoring to the original, use the VIN number as your reference.  You will see that changes in details listed in Pagoda Notes as mentioned by BobH above always refer to the VIN.

If you have received the photocopy of your data card from the Classic Center it would be helpful if you could post an image here which could be referred to by all in answering your specific questions.  If you do post an image, please blank out the key details in case these might still be valid.   

Again, welcome to the group.

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 06:05:45 »
Thanks Ralph, I'll post the data card with the key numbers blacked out and the enhanced card by DM. The cards look fantastic. He also reproduced the window sticker and it looks great too. Thanks for all of the replies guys. It makes the process of restoration much more enjoyable.

Tim

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 11:32:09 »
Here's a Mercedes-Benz Service Letter explaining the corporate position on model years.  Although Studebaker-Packard passed out of the dealership scheme there was no change in the practice. Similar letters appear bearing dates of 1959, 1960 and 1962.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 15:45:55 by ejboyd5 »

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: Data card shows three colors
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2023, 14:49:03 »
On the lower left corner of your data card are three fields. One large one above two smaller ones. The lower right states the Oil brand, the lower left and the upper large one refer to the registration and delivery date. Is there any entry in these?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2023, 15:04:57 »
On the lower left corner of your data card are three fields. One large one above two smaller ones. The lower right states the Oil brand, the lower left and the upper large one refer to the registration and delivery date. Is there any entry in these?
Modify message
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2023, 16:17:57 »
Here is the enhanced data card I received from DM.
Thanks for all of your feedback.
Tim

timjshanahan

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2023, 16:25:23 »
Thanks for the service letter outlining the model year details. Given my car was registered for the first time in 1970, it is considered a 70. Therefore I won't concern myself with the DVM BS to correct it to the data card. Thanks for everyone feedback.

Tim

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2023, 20:11:18 »
My original data card has a slightly different layout. The fields I referred to in my earlier post appear in a different position.
Here the fields "Übernahmetag" und "Zulassungsdatum" are blank.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 20:35:05 »
Tim, the copy data cards supplied from the Classic Center microfilm file normally have a date stamped on them, usually near the lower left hand corner, and which appears to be hand stamped. It is taken by many to be the actual build date of the car.  Did the copy they sent to you have such a stamp.  I believe this is what Mike is referring to. 
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2023, 03:54:02 »
Tim,

This forum is called "Research & Development" and is described as "Discuss Research and Development, including modifications that are not original or correct for the W113 series cars."

This question was probably better suited for the "Question and comments on Originality" forum.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2023, 11:27:25 »
Tim, the copy data cards supplied from the Classic Center microfilm file normally have a date stamped on them, usually near the lower left hand corner, and which appears to be hand stamped. It is taken by many to be the actual build date of the car.  Did the copy they sent to you have such a stamp.  I believe this is what Mike is referring to.

In my case, the stamp sits in the field "Zulassungsdatum" which is the exact date of first registration of the car in the name of the first owner at the German BMV. This is confirmed by the same date in the original title. the other field "Übernahmetag" is blank. It could be the date for the car delivered from the factory to the dealer, or the date when the car was received by the customer through the "European delivery program".
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2023, 11:43:42 »
Here are two examples of the stamped data card from my Pagodas. One a 1969 and the other a 1965
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2023, 14:02:50 »
From the hundreds of MB supplied data cards I have seen up to this point, the cards that have the data stamp
appear to be card No 3 (the workshop card) or card No 5.
However with earlier 230SLs this varies considerably it could be any of the card that were stamped.

It would depend on which of the data cards was copied for the microfiche file. If it was one of the card that is not
stamped you will not know the delivery date stamp (the date it left the factory).

If it of interest, anyone who only has the MB supplied photocopy card I still recreate the full set of data cards that exactly match
the originals front and back. All the data cards I recreate are charged at 30 euros via PayPal. (Full set of data cards)