Author Topic: Question regarding Keys  (Read 1769 times)

timjshanahan

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Question regarding Keys
« on: April 03, 2023, 16:03:44 »
Hi group, I recently acquired my 280SL and it only had one key (the ignition key). After looking  around the car, I found a key taped to the bumper bracket that was for the doors. This key wasn't a factory key like the ignition. my question is, did the 280SL come with two years one for the doors and one for the ignition or has someone in the past changed changed the key configuration? Also, one key came as a portion and neither of the keys work the truck lock. I will be getting the data card once the title arrives. THX Tim

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Question regarding Keys
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 17:03:25 »
Tim,  Make the Search feature your friend.  It's great!  I searched 280SL keys and got 3 pages of thread listings.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 17:10:48 »
Also, please try to post in the proper forum.  Research and development forum is for non standard changes to a pagoda.  See all forums and their descriptions here:
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

timjshanahan

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 22:36:34 »
THX, will do.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 22:37:19 »
The plastic handled key works the ignition.  The intact YMOS key works the door lock and may also work the locking gas cap. It is an original key and one can see the key number in your photo.  The broken off Ymos Key should have worked the trunk and glove box locks.  It, too, is an original key, but the key number is not viewable in your photo. Flip it over and you should see the key number.  Armed with these key numbers, your Local Mercedes-Benz dealer should be able to obtain replacement keys for you.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 01:45:20 »
The 280’s came two ways.  I believe the ‘68 and ‘69 had three keys: ignition, doors/trunk and gas cap.  The ‘70 and ‘71 models had a one key fits all as well as a valet key that didn’t open trunk, gas cap nor glovebox.  Once you get your data card you’ll know what the car came with originally.  I believe the Ymos TB Key is for a gas cap on an early model since it is one sided.  With keys (especially without having good service records) it’s hard to know what is original and what may have been changed. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)