Author Topic: Off Topic-Car for 17 year old Daughter  (Read 30419 times)

113gray

Re: Off Topic-Car for 17 year old Daughter
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 13:49:05 »
Hi Tom. My daughter & her hubby went thro this earlier this year with my granddaughter, also an excellent student. The dad had a big time wreck a couple of years ago & is convinced a Ford Explorer (totaled) saved his life, so that experience obviously colored his decision. He found a Taurus after looking several weeks, '01, I think, w/ 30K + mi.,leather, front/side bags, ABS, & in great shape & not too much $$. IMHO, he made a good choice & the g'daughter seems perfectly happy. Sounds like your daughter is a sensible girl too, but many kids want more pizzaz. (Boy, I'm glad I'm past all that!) Good luck,
Jim Pancoast

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 14:51:53 »
I would consider something different, Tom. A Volvo 122S. Affordable, safe and cool.
Joe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 15:10:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Kind of late on this but I personally wouldn't rule out a little bigger vehicle like a medium-sized SUV -- or maybe even a 1/2 ton pick-up. Then again, I am a little countrified.

While the gas mileage may be less, the amount of vehicle between your daughter and the other car is more. That counts for a lot.

I'll be answering this same question for myself 3 times but not for a while... My girls are 9, 7, and 3.5!

Download Attachment: 100_6291.JPG
67.4 KB

James
63 230SL

Yeah they are cute--but damned if any kid will sit on my aluminum tonneau[:0]

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 15:13:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Group:

Too many smart car people in our Group not to pose this question.  I am going to buy a car for my 17 year old daughter.  She currently drives my 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser.  She can *almost* make it to the next gas station before she needs to refill :D .

Thinking about a Honda Civic, Accord, Xterra, maybe a Mini Cooper.

Just wondering what others in the group have done for their children and relative satisfaction.  Planning on new but would consider used.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)

Well Tom, seems from the provided info that new isn't an issue, and you've got a price spread from about $13,500 to about $25,000.  So the money and trust issue--usually two of the biggest--aren't an issue.  So, that spread will buy quite a bit.  Here's a novel idea--have you asked her what she would like to drive?  Don't forget to consider insurance--some car and driver combinations are probably pretty expensive to insure.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 19:35:09 »
Tom, thanks for starting a posting that proves:

a) half the kids represented among this group would be very happy, COOL drivers, and

b) the other half would be saying "I can't believe my dad makes me drive this land yacht!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Malc

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 05:39:58 »
I have just had a thought

What she needs is a 1960's series 2 Land Rover  :D
Why
Solid
Sloooooooow
Simple to work on - do her good to learn anyway
Cheap insurance

Rather cool, The vehicle for posing with the "Country set" or playing on the farm, or towing that horse box

Malc

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 11:41:35 »
Tom,  I think I found it!

Check this out.. with a little TLC your daughter would have the coolest ride in town.  I especially love the carpeted dash!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6315&item=4558684534&rd=1

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2005, 11:38:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kgear

Tom,  I think I found it!

Check this out.. with a little TLC your daughter would have the coolest ride in town.  I especially love the carpeted dash!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6315&item=4558684534&rd=1

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red

FORGET IT for a young girl, this is about the coolest vehicle I've seen on eBay.  If I had the time, money and space, it would be mine. Alas, I have none of the three requirements.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hughet

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 08:56:33 »
How about a diesel Benz? I got an 84 300SD for my kids to drive 9 years ago because I wanted to keep them and their friends alive. They call it "The Bomb"
It is too slow to drag race and nobody is stealin em. Strongest crash cage of any car ever built. It is a beautiful, solid riding economical car that they would much rather be in than an open Jeep or a rusty rice rocket.
The rule for buying a used Mercedes is to pay up and get one that has all of its maintenance records. With your budget you should be able to do that.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2005, 13:54:38 »
I think we overwhelmed Tom with all the advice. I would suggest a Celica or Honda Civic coupe myself, a young girl in a large car does not seem right to me; 'elegant' would be my key-term. Even Mustangs seem to bulky to me for a 17-year old.
Anyway, while we are on the 'other cars'  topic, I bought a Volvo C70 T5 convertible today, to replace my ageing C180 Mercedes sedan. I looked at Mercedes CL convertibles but found them not 'elegant' enough. No accounting for tastes I suppose, and it did bother me somewhat I could not justify myself to stick to the Star.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2005, 11:21:34 »
Cees, et al:

One can never be overwhelmed by good thinking.  Thanks to all that posted these great ideas.

I like that Volvo convertible-very nice.

After much research and considering input here, I am leaning toward the Toyota Highlander Hybrid.  Anyone have thoughts on this vehicle?

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Malc

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 01:21:42 »
Toyota Highlander???
Has your daughter go a thing for Mel Gibson ;)
Actually never heard of it unless it's badged as something else over here
What does it look like?
Malc
Oh dear, guess I could look on the interweb thingy.... :oops:

Well just had a look,I see it's another "soft roader" type of car. Don't think it's sold in the UK
I do feel these types of vehicles tend to be compromise between a decent road car and a decent offroad vehicle and always seem to be below average in the handling department. Looks pretty bland too....
If you need 4 wheel drive because of where you live (snow / farm / no roads / do a lot of towing) then yes get one, otherwise your just dragging a lot of stuff around with you that you will never use.
Usually the most off roading these things see is the gravel on the driveway or the kurbs near the shops! (Hence Land Rover Discovery nickname is the Chelsea Tractor)

Sorry Tom I don't mean to offend, bit of a bee in my bonnet I guess. I often have to put up with these things going to work with parents driving the kids to school, not paying attention and driving them badly because they think they are big and safe.

End of rant!
Malc
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:36:56 by Malc »

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 05:52:01 »
You can't go wrong with a Toyota as far as quality and reliability.  Plus with the Hybrid, she can gain access to Northern VA's HOV lanes even when she's traveling alone.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2005, 10:54:16 »
Hi Tom, I think its a pretty good choice. I personally would go for the non-hybrid 4X4 -- only because I don't know enough about the hybrids to get one! My sister has the non-hybrid, and seems to like it.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

hitch02

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2005, 12:16:44 »
FWIW - I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 5-speed.  While I certainly enjoy the advantages of driving in the NoVA HOV lanes, it has also been a terrific car so far (Bought in December).  I routinely get over 40mpg while still extracting some semblance of performance out of the car.  The electric motor kick-in and regeneration of batteries is essentially seamless, and the car actually looks and feels higher quality than I expected from a Civic.

It is also one of the last two cars sold by Honda (as Hondas) in the US which is built in Japan - the other being the S2000.

The crash test ratings are very good, it has abs, side airbags, and all that good stuff, and you can actually get them at or below invoice, as opposed to the Toyota varieties - at least in this neck of the woods.

My two cents.

-Reed

1969 280 SL Silver/Blue Tex (enroute)
ex- 1971 300SEL 6.3
ex- 1984 300DT
ex- 1994 E420
ex- 1990 300CE-24

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2005, 13:54:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

After much research and considering input here, I am leaning toward the Toyota Highlander Hybrid.  Anyone have thoughts on this vehicle?
Sounds great!  I've read about the Lexus 400h (same thing, more stuff) and the technology sounds really good.  As with most hybrids, you would have to drive 500,000 miles (or something like that) before the fuel savings compensates for the higher sticker cost.  But, while driving those miles you make less pollution.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2005, 14:53:46 »
If you keep the Hybrid for 5 years--the life of the battery set--be aware it might cost something like $5,000 to replace the battery.  So, you can add an estimated $1,000 per year to accrue for the battery.  How easy would it be to sell a hybrid with original battery in 4 years?  How would the buyer react knowing they'll have to pony up $5k within 12 months?  Makes that 2003 Taurus look mighty appealing.  How long is the warranty on the supercomputer that controls the whole thing?  Far too many questions and answers with dollar signs in front of them...

Blessed be those early adopters, for without them there would be little incentive to innovate.  But financially it just doesn't make any sense.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2005, 05:24:11 »
Actually hybrid systems are designed to last the life of the car so they shouldn't need replacing.

Toyota has a “peace of mind” warranty that guarantees roadside assistance and a 10 year/100k warranty on the hybrid system so you shoudl be good to go for at least that long.  BTW, the hybrid systems themselves are about $4,000.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2005, 07:59:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kgear

Actually hybrid systems are designed to last the life of the car so they shouldn't need replacing.

Toyota has a “peace of mind” warranty that guarantees roadside assistance and a 10 year/100k warranty on the hybrid system so you shoudl be good to go for at least that long.  BTW, the hybrid systems themselves are about $4,000.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red

Ahh, Ken...

Batteries are the last major hurdle holding this technology back--and they have been for some time.  They are expensive to buy, considerably more expensive to manufacture, and suffer from longevity problems.  Wall Street is considering downgrading GM, Ford and Chrysler bond ratings again because of the "employee discount" they are all now offering, what the heck would happen if Wall Street figured out that it costs Ford $60,000 to manufacture a $30,000 Escape Hybrid?  Battery technology simply isn't there yet--Toyota may be ahead of the others, Toshiba leapfrogging them, but 100,000 mile warranty isn't good enough.  My suspicion and talk with the engineers around here indicates they'll be replacing many of these under warranty.  Toyota gets a lot of good press and they make good cars, but they are not perfect.  They too, have recalls, but our media here puts the Toyota (and Honda as well) recalls way in the back of the paper--when "Big 3" recalls get the front page.

Take a look here:

http://www.hybridcars.com/discussion/discussthread.php?thread_id=254&replies=4

As I mentioned, thank goodness for the early adopters, but at the present time, even with the subsidies present (it costs considerably more to make a hybrid drivetrain then what they sell it for, even with the premium price)the technology is insufficienty developed for the mass market.  They can't make batteries fast enough, there aren't that many manufacturers for them, and the life simply isn't there, warranties notwithstanding.  If it was, EVERY vehicle line would have one and we'd all be buying them.  They don't, and we're not.  It is a green badge of honor.

As long as you know that going into it, all is OK.  But if you expect to save money, that's a mistake.  If any of us were really green, we wouldn't drive the 113!  My guess is that one 113 makes the pollution of 10-20 modern cars...on expensive PREMIUM fuel, no less!

Further, if you read some of the second and third page articles on hybrids (you know, those that don't grab the headlines) you'll realize that the mileage claims really aren't there either.  One manufacturer is offering driving lessons with the hybrids so that you can maximize the fuel efficiency (read that: approach the mileage claims!).  Ironically, those same driving lessons would have a great effect on a normal car! (Don't do hard acceleration, prepare to brake by letting your foot off the gas, etc.)  Of additional interest is that some of the features of hybrids that add to the fuel efficiency, such as special low resistance tires, regenerative braking, aerodynamic shapes, etc. would benefit all vehicles.

I find it interesting to note the opinions of various engineers I know around here--high level men and women who work for Daimler Chrysler, Ford, Bosch, GM--their independent opinions seems to be that new technology diesels should be the wave of the [immediate] future.  It's a small, unrelated subset of engineers, but they are not on the hybrid bandwagon though they are working with it (nor of the hydrogen one either)and really feel that newer diesel technologies, when combined with fuel modifications will be a more robust solution to our internal combustion engine dilemma.

Personally, I hope the politicians get together and fund a "Manhattan Project" of energy independence and come up with something completely different then fossil fuel--but I also hope I win the lottery as well!  :)

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Malc

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2005, 08:12:02 »
Funny how this alternate fuel thing goes round and round....
Friend of a friend has a Stanley Steamer, absolutely amazing does 70mph and no brakes!!
He can run it on almost anything including a mixture of old chip pan oil, smells like a fish and chip shop though using that
Malc

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2005, 09:48:54 »
Points well taken, Michael.  But a 100K warranty on the hybrid drivetrain is pretty good insurance in my book.

Having said that I just bought a new car and it wasn't a hybrid so I haven't jumped in but I knwo a coupl eof freids who drive hybrids and love them so to each his own.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2005, 10:14:04 »
It is clear that the economics alone don't justify the hybrid.  Other things to consider include tax incentives, the ability to drive in HOV lanes (High Occupancy Vehicles) without the required number of passengers, etc.  To cut off 1 hour per day of commute time, many would pay the extra cost of owning a hybrid-you can't buy a pass in that lane otherwise.

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2005, 14:38:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

It is clear that the economics alone don't justify the hybrid.  Other things to consider include tax incentives, the ability to drive in HOV lanes (High Occupancy Vehicles) without the required number of passengers, etc.  To cut off 1 hour per day of commute time, many would pay the extra cost of owning a hybrid-you can't buy a pass in that lane otherwise.

Not even on my radar screen Tom!  We don't have HOV lanes here or anywhere in the State of Michigan, and no tolls either, save for bridges.  But having sailed through the diamond lanes in Seattle, there's nothing like that free pass--certainly worthy of consideration if they have them in your area!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2005, 14:40:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Malc

Funny how this alternate fuel thing goes round and round....
Friend of a friend has a Stanley Steamer, absolutely amazing does 70mph and no brakes!!
He can run it on almost anything including a mixture of old chip pan oil, smells like a fish and chip shop though using that
Malc

I've always wondered why with all the "problems" inherent with internal combustion, we don't go to external combustion!  N.B. for those Americans out there, Jay Leno is considered to be one of the foremost experts on the Stanley Steamer!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Douglas

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2006, 16:29:51 »
So what was the final verdict on this old thread, Tom? What is she driving?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA