Author Topic: Soft Door Map Pocket Internal Structure  (Read 900 times)

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Soft Door Map Pocket Internal Structure
« on: March 06, 2023, 17:52:05 »
My trim shop is working on door panels for my 1970 280SL and is asking if I have the internal structure for the soft map pockets, which I do not have. I have searched here and found several posts converting the soft map pockets to the earlier hard pockets but no mention of an internal structure for the soft map pockets.  My usual sources, Authentic Classics and SLS do not have anything. Trim shop thinks it is probably a metal U shaped piece that the soft pocket is formed around and then attached to door card.

If anyone has such a piece a picture would be very much appreciated - dimensions even more-so. I am thinking easily fabricated. Any tips on install also appreciated.

As a last resort, if anyone knows of a source for these things that too would be helpful if photo and dimensions requested don't materialize. TIA.  Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
Re: Soft Door Map Pocket Internal Structure
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 19:10:29 »
Your trim shop is correct.  It’s a simple U-shaped metal form that the soft pocket is formed around.  There are tabs around it that attach to the Masonite door card.  I’ve never actually seen a source for these but so many owners have converted to the hard packet that I’m sure there are frames available out there. I’d call Buds or Vintage and ask if they have any used ones.  The attached pic is of my door card.  It’s factory original so you can show your trim guy the number of pleats at the bottom and their direction. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Soft Door Map Pocket Internal Structure
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 19:33:58 »
Buds do supply the frames, and there's a picture of the rear of the pocket on the 2nd link

https://budsbenz.com/catalog/230-250-280-sl/v-upholstery/V240-042L

https://www.worlduph.com/instructions/mb113dpinstall.htm
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather