Author Topic: Paint Mixing Formula  (Read 1545 times)

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
Paint Mixing Formula
« on: February 18, 2023, 23:05:34 »
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering whether it's possible to obtain the paint mixing formula for a particular color of paint; or whether this necessarily has to come from the paint manufacturer. The specific color I'm interested in is 350 H. How could/should I go about finding the formula for this color?

Thanks
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
Re: Paint Mixing Formula
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 23:23:24 »
Hi Meyer,

350H where H stands for Herbert. Dr Herbert was one of 2 main paint suppliers on our cars. The other being G for Glasurit.
So yes you should be able to go to any paint system and get their equivalent mix ratio. Maybe a call to the technical dept of whatever paint you want to use. Mine is 568H but when I sprayed my car I used 568G - colours appear identical to me. I was with the guy that mixed it up for me and he was showing and telling me what he was adding and in what quantity and what was the base/tints etc...

By the by this is an interesting link for reference....

http://www.mbzponton.org/ponton3/colorcht/colorcht.htm

Rgds, Joe
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 12:39:45 »
The current paint line goes by the name of Herbert Standox. It’s a high end paint that I had very hard time finding a dealer around Ohio. Seems to be more popular in europe. I bought Standox for my car as that was the original manufacturer of my color. I did try a cheaper paint for looking at test colors and they just didn’t get the color right.

If glasurit is more assessable in your area I would go with that. Both are expensive. Color clear and thinner were just under $2,000 with a discount. Thinner was $400 a gallon but found out later I could have used PPG’s high end thinner for half the price.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 13:41:06 »
Any reputable paint supply company can mix that formula. The exact formula will vary depending on which brand you choose/they offer, this is due to each manufacturer uses their own toners.

Top companies are Glasurit, and PPG water based (what certified MB shops use), Herbert Standox is good if you want to use it in homage to the original supplier.

And if you are doing an entire car, paint and supplies can be $4,000.
1969 280SL

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 02:25:42 »
Thanks Joe, John and Vander for your answers. This has been very helpful.

Meyer
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
2021 Tesla Model 3

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 13:11:34 »
I second Vander's remarks. PPG has an outstanding system out there that is available to the paint shops that use their paint. They can analyze any paint and come up with a mix that is so close to the original, that you can hardly see a difference. I have one vehicle with a very difficult color to reproduce. It is originally a shade of metallic red over a silver base coat, and my friend's shop did a paint match and the result is perfect.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 14:43:04 »
When I was trying to source paint for my '72 Lancia, the original manufacturer told me they were unable to mix the proper color and I was unable to source it elsewhere, even though I had the original paint code. The problem seems to be that not all mixing formulas still exist for all older car color codes. So, yes, they can match what they see on a car today automatically using some sort of scanner, but reproducing what the original color would have looked like 40-50 years ago is not always as straightforward.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 01:12:12 »
Thanks Mike and Cees for this additional info.

Meyer
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
2021 Tesla Model 3

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 22:57:41 »
Meyer,

Other than the quality of the paint and the good stuff others have mentioned here was that for me I needed a supplier who was willing to supply information on how to use the paint system and who I could call and discuss any questions I had and believe me I had plenty, being an in-experienced painter. It just happened for me that the Glasurit guy was by far the most helpful, knowledgeable and accessible and to add to that was nearby!!! I tried without any luck the Standox and PPG guys here and could not nail them down for a chat. Initially I was not going to use Glasurit due to the cost but in the end I think the extra cost was worth it. I used their complete system from primer to clear and used both their single stage and 2 stage lines. Fantastic paint, fantastic technical support for a novice like me. You on the otherhand may not be a novice and have slightly different requirments so best of luck!!!!

Rgds, Joe
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 06:59:44 »
Hi,
there is a Glasurit online mixing database: https://www.glasurit.com/uk/find-colour-code-glasurit-color-online.
BUT formulas are not universal because they depend on the specific ingredients, and every paint company has different ingredients. Formulas are typically not transferable, even within the same company. See att. examples for MB 834 moss green met. with 2 different Glasurit "lines".

For 350G exists 4 different Glasurit "lines" with 9 modifications over the years.
...WRe
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 07:09:55 by WRe »