Author Topic: Abarth Sportauspuff für Pagoden-SLs  (Read 4995 times)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Abarth Sportauspuff für Pagoden-SLs
« on: June 21, 2005, 16:28:22 »
Hello alltogether,

Found today an interesting thread on our old Yahoo group about a question for a (more) sportive exhaust.
I couldn't withstand to leave my non-knowledge again.
Sorry...
 :(
Perhaps the one or other is interested in this too.

Best,
Achim

(Yahoo groups thread:)

Hello guys,

Well I don't believe Gene's offer was what Mike was expecting from his question...
Anyway,
Mike, where you talking about the complete exhaust system or only the exhaust manifolds (headers)?
The latter were different; early 230ies until in serial nos. 014000 (in 1965) or so had long welded exhaust manifolds, later cars had casted ones from the then-new 250 SE W108.
Some people "believe" the earlier ones are sportier but I doubt this to be true.

And ah yes, there was an sport exhaust available for the 230 SL (and the 250/280 I guess); it was made by Abarth. I had read some offers in the car magazines in the 80ies but never came across to buy one.

I haven't seen any of these sets and don't know whether they really increase performance or only (most likely) sound (not to say noise).

It might not be easy to find an untouched set nowadays...

But honestly, I don't know whether it is worth the effort ...
The original exhaust does not have sharp bends/curves and the center resonator and muffler do not reduce the velocity of the exhaust fumes; the original exhaust was known to be well performance- increasing in contrast to the 220 SE unit from which it was re-designed.

Good luck!

Achim
1964 230/3

Mike:  I know of no such thing as a current commercially available sport exhaust system for  113SL's.  Years ago there was a company known as Daytona that used to advertise exhaust systems for 113SL's as well as an Italian company.  But this was years ago.  Perhaps he has a NOS version of one of these.

Pete Lesler

> Hello Mike:
>
> I have a crank and head, some rods, etc.  I would like to sell. I am in Austin, Tx.  any interest?
>
> Gene
>   ----- Original Message -----
>   From: Mike
>   To: W113@yahoogroups.com
>   Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:07 PM
>   Subject: [W113] sport exhaust for w113
>
>
>   Has anyone heard of sport exhaust manifolds for w113 cars? I recently
>   located a 250SL engine and the seller says he also has a set of sport
>   exhaust to sell.I'm not aware that MB offered this or if they were an
>   aftermarket item. Any info would be appreciated.
>
>   Mike
>   Texas 250SL
Achim
(Germany)

norton

Re: Abarth Sportauspuff für Pagoden-SLs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 17:02:12 »
I have a complete NOS "Monza" exhaust system, I got it on eBay a couple of years ago for about $50. Mine's not for sale, but these things are sill out there

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 17:15:35 »
Hello Mike,

Sounds great.
Does it say anything more than "Monza", any names, numbers etc.?
Does it look the same as the original set or do you perhaps have pics for us?
Would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

norton

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 06:43:20 »
I'll be home on Friday, I"ll have to dig it out of the "parts room" and see what other markings are on it, and I'll try to get a photo to post, it looks a bit diferent than a stock exhaust.

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 06:45:34 by norton »

TR

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 07:21:58 »
Folks -- This is a bit off-topic, but perhaps somewhat related.

Before my car went to the interior shop (where it'll be for another week or so) my lead mechanic took it to what is reportedly the best performance shop in this part of the country.  There the OEM exhaust system, from the manifold back, was removed.  It was all in great shape, and has since been stored away.  Their exhaust guru fabricated a special adapter for the manifold, ran quite a series of calculations and then switched to a single 3-inch exhaust piping system.  When coupled with a new high-performance muffler / resonator arrangement the power improvement is obvious.  Along with the new engine from Metric, the addition of a K&N air filter, replacing the original fan with electrics, and this new exhaust system the car now feels much more peppy.  As mentioned, all removed parts have been stored away so that we can switch back to original if & when the mood strikes.

This new exhaust system required a little experimentation, but IMHO the sound is subtly better than original, and the performance increase is clear.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

norton

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 04:23:45 »

Photo's of Monza exhaust  Download Attachment: monza_01.jpg
66.87 KB

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe