Author Topic: Removing the seat cover, backrest  (Read 1109 times)

gorgoo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • France, Île-de-France, Epinay sur Orge
Removing the seat cover, backrest
« on: January 30, 2023, 23:09:57 »
Hello,
I have to do some repairs on my seat covers so started dismantling the seats, but I'm some what blocked:
Does anyone here knows how to unclip the cover of the backrest?

There are four clips but I can't disengage them, wonder if I need to remove the sewing in the corners.

Cutting the sewing is easy, but reproducing it afterwards will be troublesome... at least!
Thanks for your feedback!
Didier

Jack the Knife

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Vero Beach
Re: Removing the seat cover, backrest
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 01:02:30 »
When I took apart my seats just a few days ago, I was able to pull on the cardboard-backed portion in your first photo and slip it out of the groove it rests inside, if that's what you're looking to do.
1964 230SL
2015 G550 """Professional"""

lagolag

• Regular
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Askim
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 12:14:44 »
I did mine seats last year.
The cardboard part is twisted out of position, put the seat on the floor and put a wood peace across then you can press down the seat with you Boddy weight (knee on the wood) and then it is easy to twist out the upholstery from its position.
Or if you do it on the bench, use spanners to press it down.

230SL 1967 since July 2021
SL55 AMG 2003 since July 2008
Suzuki Cappuccino 1995 since May 2006, Sold

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 00:40:33 »
Didier,
If you're planning to take the seat cover off, I think you do not have a choice but to cut the stitching in your second picture. It sounds like you are going to repair the seat cover then reinstall it. If so, I agree with you that it might be difficult to re-create the stitching after putting the cover back on. If that's your plan, I am sure there are some on the forum who have done it and can guide you through it but I chose to send my seats out to a trim shop since doing that kind of sewing is not in my skill set. Hope this helps. Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

gorgoo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 22:54:26 »
Hello,

thanks for your feedbacks.
And yes, the idea is to repair the original seat covers so they last as long as possible, I somehow doubt a modern upholstery could ever get the patina mine has, as well as blending correctly with door cards, dash, etc...
I'm currently removing the cover of the cushion, had done that before on the other seat.
For the backrest, I'm afraid I'll cut the stitching and end up at a proper trimming shop!
Didier.

gorgoo

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 21:27:19 »
Hi,

Finally got it without cutting the stitching, just needed 4 hands:two to press the cushion, two to pull the cover out of the clips.
Guess it'll be the same for the reverse operation!
Didier.