Author Topic: Steering wheel alignment  (Read 6220 times)

TR

Steering wheel alignment
« on: June 19, 2005, 10:20:39 »
My steering sits at about the 11 o'clock position when the car runs straight down the road.  I know this question is likely very elementary, but how does one get the steering wheel to be straight up & down at the 12 o'clock position when the car is driving in a straight line?

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

A Dalton

Re: Steering wheel alignment
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 10:55:42 »
More than likely, the Toe was not set with steering wheel locked in correct position.
.. assuming you have correct toe spec and a tight front end,
 you can make up for this without changing any toe spec settings by adjusting the tie rods the same amount on each side, but when you lengthen one side , you have to shorten the other . If you do this exactly , then you do not change toe, but you do change steering wheel position.
 A good way is to use a magic marker on the adguster links as an index so you can be assure you are turning each the  same amount ..
 By going longer on one side an shorter on the other ,[ or vica/versa,] you can see that the overall length between tie rod ends never changes ..do a little at a time and drive the car until you have the SW where it should be .. best test is a level parking lot, so as to eliminate road crown..

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 12:04:59 »
You may want to make sure the steering wheel is properly indexed to the steering shaft. Under the center pad is the nut that holds the wheel on, under that is a mark on the steering wheel and one on the steering shaft that should be lined up. Someone could have put it back on wrong. It probably is the tie rod adjustement though.

knirk

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 12:05:29 »
I may be naiv, but I would just pry off the steering wheel centre cap, unscrew the centre nut and adjust the steering wheel. But there may be more involved than I know ....

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

knirk

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 12:06:50 »
Sorry graphic66, we posted at the same time.

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

TR

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 12:46:13 »
Thanks guys, very much, for your input.  I've already called the mechanic and passed your comments on to him.

Tom in Boise

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 16:55:30 »
The reason I mention the great possibility of the steering wheel being off centralization due to previous alignment work rather than steering wheel removal and non-indexing upon re-install [ which will result in same condition] , is cuz all the years I have talked to alignment people ,[aside from Benz Techs] I have SELDOM, if EVER ,come across any that are aware that Benz has a centralization feature on the steering box that has to be set BEFORE doing toe adjustments. Most align guys just set the SW approx and lock it with a mousey fixture to the seat !!!!!
 For those not familiar with this simple feature:
 .. there is a 12mm cap on top of the box. This is an inspection hole that one screws an index pin into and that drops in a detent hole in the steering mechanism. When these are lined up, the steering system is at Neutral degrees +/- and Centralized and the pin is threaded in to LOCK the steering. This should also result in straight steering wheel in  refence to vehicle lateral travel. The reason they do this is to assure that the steering has exact/equal movement measure on BOTH right and left turn axis .
 The actual tool is Benz part# 111 589 00 23 -Center Position Check Screw..
  One can be easily made from a bolt of proper thread sizing and cutting the protruding end to a V point with a slight rounding of the tip.. for quick checks, a phillips screwdriver with a .250" shaft will get you to the hole lined up enough to see if steering wheel is in alignment with Factory box alignment.. With the tool in lock position, the toe is then set and one is assure the system is  correctly centralized position prior to tie rod adjusting..
 Try that one on your alignment guy next time you go.. my bet is he looks at you like you'r nutzzzz.
 .. one wants to remember .. toe is not really measured from tire to tire, it is actually measured from chassis lateral C/L., equally on each side from C/L....  Again, Centralization..

* As an added note .. the rear axle also should be checked for centering specs , as this is also in the equation to the steering geometrics of the vehicle.  Your are looking for the swing hanger pivot pin center to be 36 mm ,+/- 2 mm, to the right of the chassis center line ..
 The archieves has info on this procedure along with another homemade measuring tool ... correction here is the rear axle cross strut length adjustment ...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 17:16:05 by A Dalton »

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 14:35:38 »
Is it "normal" for fluid to leak out from the 12mm bolt on top of the steering box?  I removed the 12mm bolt that sits just to the left of the large "dome" shaped part of the steering box and commenced to drain about 1/4 pint of ATF onto the garage floor...  Is this the right inspection hole for the centering bolt?  There is also a bleeder type bolt closer to the firewall - is this it?  Assuming the first bolt was correct, how much fluid will eventually come out and should I just refill the power steering resevoir?  My hope is to construct a bolt to check my steering wheel alignment - the Mercedes dealer locked the wheel to the seat and told me there was no such thing on my car (1970 280sl)- my sense is that the wheel is off center...

Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

A Dalton

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 16:09:25 »
You are at the correct Plug Hole cap bolt. It should have a copper seal/washer to keep it from leaking.
 This is directly to the left of the pressure block adjuster screw/lock assembly [ using driver position for r/l orientation ]
 The benz Dealer you visited has not read the book...this is where my previous posted referenced tool is inserted for steering axis centralization.. not the steering wheel . If steering wheel is used  [ as too often it is] , both the lock to lock equal measures and the directional cancel cam on the column  will not be correct .  This also goes for those who think moving the steering wheel off index will solve the problem.. it doesn't and only masks the problem.. If a steering wheel has to be moved after the index tool has locked the steering box to "Neutral" position, then it has been previously moved in error to compensate for not knowing about the Benz steering box lock positioning feature and the tool/procedure.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 16:11:38 »
If the steering wheel is off by just a small amount I'd probably move it a tooth or two on the shaft for a quick fix. Most systems are not centered properly but the car will still drive OK if it's not and not everyone wants to get an alignment if the car drives straight. No doubt it's better to have everything lined up but you'd be surprised at just how wrong things can be on one of these cars and yet it will still run/drive reasonably well.

During an alingment I would get it centered properly.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

TR

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 16:20:34 »
Dan -- As mentioned, this was an elementary issue.  My interior guy had it taken care of.

Tom in Boise