Author Topic: Mechatronik M-SL car in upcoming auction  (Read 2826 times)

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
Mechatronik M-SL car in upcoming auction
« on: January 11, 2023, 16:45:52 »
Don't shoot the messenger, expect not to everyone's tastes but interesting nonetheless!!

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1964-MERCEDES-BENZ-230SL-CUSTOM-ROADSTER-265134
1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Mechatronik M-SL car in upcoming auction
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 17:17:51 »
And they say money doesn’t buy good taste
I love their stuff but to me that’s awful. As was the white one with all the chrome turned black that was in Dubai a while back
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 17:28:05 »
" drivetrain sourced from a modern Mercedes-Benz CLK 430, including a 275 bhp 4.3-liter V8 engine and 6-speed automatic transmission..."

Love it!

Wheels/tires are the EASIEST thing to change.  Put on stockers if you want and no one will know what a sleeper it is, plus how much fun that car will be to drive.

1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 17:36:55 »
yeah, not my favourite shade of red (-on-red!)... but different wheels, repaint the rockers to dark grey, replace the steering wheel and some cocomats... and I think it would look miles better!
1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment

Jack the Knife

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Vero Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 18:20:44 »
This looks like some of their very earlier work, like circa 2006-2007. Now they build a custom thing for the shifter which looks slightly more OEM. They definitely didn't put those wheels on there. No straight-on shot of the whole assembly of the shifter but the part that is more aft (where power window switch is located) is nicely designed with the way it tails off. If money was no object (and it isn't if you're ponying up like 300k for one of these back then!), I would've rather had them design an early R107-style console (think like from the circa 1972 model), but with better use of the space. Their current configuration is pretty elegant though, and they've worked out a lot of the design kinks to make a truly great automobile. Unmentioned in the listing is whether this variety came with the upgraded rear suspension or not. On the current cars, they use I believe a W126-style suspension, dispensing with the swing axle.

I wish there was more discussion here regarding retrofitting superior and safer rear suspensions to our vehicles.

I'm guessing somewhere between 150 and 200k for this. Probably would go for more with some better presentation. Not sure why the consignor elected to try to sell this on BJ. They are the worst venue for European cars, and BaT is just about the best for restomods. And without a horrible scam buyer's/seller's premium. Probably came in a big lot of cars.
1964 230SL
2015 G550 """Professional"""