Author Topic: Planning a long trip  (Read 1373 times)

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
Planning a long trip
« on: January 08, 2023, 19:19:05 »
Hi guys , I'm planning for this summer a 4 days tour around my region , Sicily . It will be around 700km , mostly will be highway or city roads . I know this is a very difficult question but what do you suggest me to do and check before such a long trip? Of course engine oil and filter but how about other things ? I know that is impossible to be sure 100% , this is the nature with a 60 years old car , you can think about renovating  brakes , clutch or tires but more realistically what are the main things to check ? thank you.
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Planning a long trip
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 20:12:14 »
Here are two little things to think about checking:

Fuel filters at the engine and at the pump. A good long drive is likely to stir up any debris in your tank, so I would change the big fuel filter at the engine and check if there is an external filter between the tank and the pump.  If there isn't one you might think of adding one.  Your pump may also have an internal inlet filter. 

One can pick and choose an ideal weather day when to taking one's car out for a day drive, but weather has a way of throwing things at one on longer trips.  You don't want your windscreen wipers to quit on you away from home. Make sure your wipers are working and install new blades.  There is a tool available for lubricating the wiper spindles.  The original lubricant in those spindles has long since dried up.

https://www.authenticclassics.com/Greasing-Tool-Windshield-Wiper-Spindle-280sl-p/auth-008822.htm

Enjoy your outing!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Tycoon

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Ontario, Blue Mountains
  • ‘68 Euro 280
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 20:26:49 »
Mauro,
Given the summer heat of Southern Italy, the possibility of overheating is always an overlooked risk….check the condition of the radiator,( do the copper fins separate from the aluminum tubes on the core when rubbing your fingers on the fins- this will tell you if a re-core of the rad is required….ie; no air cooling getting to the tubes/coolant) and check the condition of the associated hoses. An emergency trick I learned years ago, was to remove the thermostat, if an emergency, overheating situation occurred in the middle of nowhere….sounds like a fun trip!
Bill

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 20:54:39 »
Guys, thanks for your informations . Regarding the wipers blades I have recently replaced . Unfortunately my car doesn’t have anymore the chromed blades but some regular black blades . I guess they are quite expensive now . About the radiator , mine is working so far . Recently I have replaced the coolant and thermostat . Any other tips ?
Mauro Pisani

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 22:24:07 »
Authentic Classics has the stainless steel version of wiper blades. Reasonably priced as well
https://www.authenticclassics.com/Pair-Stainless-Wiper-Blades-230SL-250SL-280SL-p/auth-002630.htm
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 23:13:00 »
I would check the shifter bushings, make sure they are not not worn or cracked.
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 01:57:11 »
Hi guys , I'm planning for this summer a 4 days tour around my region , Sicily . It will be around 700km , mostly will be highway or city roads . I know this is a very difficult question but what do you suggest me to do and check before such a long trip? Of course engine oil and filter but how about other things ? I know that is impossible to be sure 100% , this is the nature with a 60 years old car , you can think about renovating  brakes , clutch or tires but more realistically what are the main things to check ? thank you.

Mauro, 700km over 4 days isn't really a long journey.  If you've changed your oil in the last 12 months you should be good.  My previous trips to PUB's to Ohio are 600+km's and we drove them in a day (many much further than me) and didn't really think about what I needed to do.  You'll be fine.  Don't over think it.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 16:17:46 »
Nobody so far mentioned brakes, so this is what I would add. Difficult to check the shoes on the rear drums on the 230SL, but the front disk brake pads can easily be checked. Brake fluid should also be monitored, like all other operating fluids. For cars that are only used in the summer and do not need antifreeze, I use a water additive which I use in racing. It is called "Water Wetter". It helps improve cooling in stressed operations.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 16:51:57 »
I know that is not so long for 4 days trip but I’ve never experienced any more than 100km in a day with my car . I was thinking about brakes too . My brake pads are still with 40% of life left but they are probably 20years plus old . Tires are also quite old , around 15 years but still in acceptable conditions .
Mauro Pisani

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 17:21:43 »
Most tyre manufacturers or suppliers recommend that tyres are replaced at 10 years at latest, perhaps earlier than that depending on the climate and use, as the rubber compounds would have deteriorated
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather