Author Topic: Originality re removal of air conditioning  (Read 2047 times)

pauloe

• Junior Level
  • Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island
Originality re removal of air conditioning
« on: January 06, 2023, 17:24:19 »
My car (1969 0011797) had a FRIGIKING installed that was removed before I bought the car. I am not interested in reinstalling any sort of AC.  I would like to complete the removal of the AC, while keeping the car correct. 

Some obvious things to fix…  Underdash panels are missing (FRIGIKING instructions say “remove and discard underdash panels” !!!  There is a hole in the floor on passenger side which was for the condensate drain.  Holes in firewall.

The big bracket is gone and the alternator was put back on standard bracket.  Then I look at the 2 empty slots on the water pump pulley and crank pulley, and the 8 blade fan.  My first thought was that the extended pulleys and the 8 blade fan would have been added (by dealer?) preparing for AC installation, and I need to undo this.  Then looking around at engine bay pics I started to notice some non-AC cars with the empty pulley slots.  Had all these cars had AC removed?  I asked Gernold this question and he said “to the best of my knowledge most US delivery 280 SL had the Engine prepared for AC Installation, double Pulley on the Crank, Triple Pulley on the Water Pump, Exhaust Manifold Nut, Idle Lift Solenoid and the 8 Blade Fan. I can not however say if very early US Delivery 280 SL had that set up already, I would say that all 70/71 Models were delivered like that.”   

So if my 1969 was prepared at the factory like this, then I should leave these things in place.  (Although I do prefer the simpler look of the non-extended pulleys, the empty slots look like something’s missing).  So I am interested in hearing from others with non-AC early 280SLs whether or not you have the extended pulleys and/or the 8 blade fan, to see if we can figure out the VIN at which the factory started delivering cars prepared for AC.   
Paul
1969 280SL 4 speed 050 white 040 black

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Originality re removal of air conditioning
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 19:02:07 »
Perhaps the answers are in the Volume 11 issues of Pagoda Notes (2017).  https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/PagodaNotes
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

pauloe

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 21:27:02 »
Thanks Rodd.  The only AC related thing I see there is at VIN 16630 "Cars with A/C installed had A/C manufacturers info
plate added, next to vehicle type plate".  I also went back to the Pagoda Notes for the 250 changes.  Nothing there re AC.
Paul

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 16:37:56 »
As you probably know, the factory did not install a complete A/C system. Certain things were installed and the rest came in a separate box which was shipped with the car. The installation completion was left to the delivering dealer who sourced major components, e.g.: the compressor unit, locally in order to ensure availability of parts in the geographical area where the car was used. What the content of the factory installation was, I don't know. The pulleys and the fan were probably part of this. I can only comment to the 8-blade fan and I would recommend to leave it in, because it is an improvement to air flow to the radiator and as such engine cooling, which is a weak area, especially in the 280SL. The pulleys I would change. Easy to do.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

pauloe

• Junior Level
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 15:26:07 »
Thanks Mike.  Yes I want to do the pulleys.  Classic center has single crankshaft pulley 121 205 05 10 $328 and single water pump pulley 108 466 05 15  $429. Might look for used first.
Paul

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 04:58:11 »
I am sure someone looking to put Ac in their cars would LOVE to trade pulleys with you. The three race pulleys are quite hard to find and expensive.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540