Author Topic: Misaligned steering column  (Read 1444 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Misaligned steering column
« on: January 05, 2023, 15:49:54 »
Hi
Some time ago I had the power steering unit restored as it leaked. The garage did this for me.

A quick question then. I presume the steering column would need to come out/loosened?

Is the power steering unit the same as the steering box?

The reason for asking is that the indicator does not self cancel in the correct location. The garage have stated that “when the steering box was fitted the column was not fitted central to the steering box”.

I’m just wondering if they could have potentially incorrectly realigned the steering column when they worked on the power steering unit, and as such, when the car was returned the steering wheel was offset by approx 10 degrees, clockwise (which happens to be approx the angle the combination switch is offset by and hence not self cancelling correctly)

Many thanks again
Katie
230SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Misaligned steering column
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 17:04:50 »
The steering box was undoubtedly removed from the car when it was rebuilt and it is much easier to remove than it is to install, much less install properly aligned to the steering column.  The technician is faced with working blind in a confined space while hoisting a heavy steering box back into position.  The splined steering column or steering box shafts can be inserted into the splined orifices of the steering coupling at any degree of rotation by someone not aware of, or not paying attention to, or flat out unable to see the alignment indicators.  It is likely that the shop personnel were just so happy they were finally able to get it all put back together that they were hoping that removing and recentering the steering wheel a few degrees would be "good enough."
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 22:05:40 »
Katie,

There is a notch on the top of the steering column. This must point to 6 O'clock whilst the steering box is centred. The manual steering boxes have a locating hole that a bolt (with a pointy end) goes into to help locate the central position. I'm assuming the power steering boxes have a similar locating hole. This is a Mercedes tool but can easily be fabricated, there's other threads in the forum on this. The spline of the steering column is then inserted (not easy) whilst the locating pin has locked the steering box in the central position (which is done by aligning the pin with a locating hole inside the box). You mention that your indicator does not self centre but be aware that this can also be caused by a worn indicator mechanism which there exists a few great threads on how to repair too.

Rgds, Joe
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 00:28:57 »
Thanks Joe
Useful info 😁
230SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 07:30:36 »
Katie,

There is a notch on the top of the steering column. This must point to 6 O'clock whilst the steering box is centred. The manual steering boxes have a locating hole that a bolt (with a pointy end) goes into to help locate the central position. I'm assuming the power steering boxes have a similar locating hole. This is a Mercedes tool but can easily be fabricated, there's other threads in the forum on this. The spline of the steering column is then inserted (not easy) whilst the locating pin has locked the steering box in the central position (which is done by aligning the pin with a locating hole inside the box). You mention that your indicator does not self centre but be aware that this can also be caused by a worn indicator mechanism which there exists a few great threads on how to repair too.

Rgds, Joe

Katie's car is RHD therefore the notch in the column should indeed be in the 6 o'clock position. However for other readers be aware that for LHD the notch should be at the 12 o'clock position.

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 07:49:25 »
Katie's car is RHD therefore the notch in the column should indeed be in the 6 o'clock position. However for other readers be aware that for LHD the notch should be at the 12 o'clock position.

As is mine of course, but good point Colin 😁
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 09:35:56 »
Well noted Colin! 😁
230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 16:02:01 »
Yes, the notch (slash mark) should point 12:00 (straight upward) when the front wheels of the car are straight ahead. At this position the steering lock will engage when the key is removed and the turn signals will cancel correctly.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 12:37:22 »
Yes, the notch (slash mark) should point 12:00 (straight upward) when the front wheels of the car are straight ahead. At this position the steering lock will engage when the key is removed and the turn signals will cancel correctly.

Thank you 😁
230SL

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 13:55:00 »
question
66 230' manual steering

years ago i replaced the coupler between the steering column and box but did not properly re align. I had  borrowed a tie rod the tool to separate the tie rod from the box.
if i remove the steering box alignment plug and align the box by eye the steering wheel is about a half turn off.

is it possible to separate the coupler from the column and re align the box without disconnecting the steering tie rod from the box?

i was thinking of removing the front wheels, unbolting the coupler from the column, unbolting the box from the car,,
align the steering wheel using the steering lock,  align the box with a home made alignment pin, since the wheels are off i can then move the wheel hubs around while re installing?

of course then i need to get my front end aligned.

thanks in advance
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230