Author Topic: Refurb speedo and other dials in UK  (Read 1278 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Refurb speedo and other dials in UK
« on: January 04, 2023, 18:51:57 »
Hi everyone

Question for my UK pagoda owners

Can anyone recommend a company that they have experience of, that have undertaken a good job of refurbishing speedos and other dials?

Ma
My thanks
Katie
230SL

Davek1

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Wells
Re: Refurb speedo and other dials in UK
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 20:02:06 »
Hi there, would you be looking for a company to remove and refurbish your dials, or just refurb them after you have removed them. Removing and refitting them is not the easiest of jobs as I have just removed, had mine refurbed and refitted them. You have to take great care when removing the temp. gauge from the middle instrument.

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 20:49:23 »
do they function?  but you want them to just look better?

Pretty sure they make repro faces.  Not sure who in the UK; I'm sure someone there must know.

I sent in my Speedo to speedometer.com in the USA. 

Yes, removing and re-fitting is a royal PITA, but not impossible.  And I have big hands too.

Was a great time to put in LED bulbs as the stock 2W bulbs are really poor in lighting.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 23:18:34 »
Thanks all

I have been informed that the ‘speedo head’ may be worn and that’s why my new speedo cable broke.

My fuel gauge bounces all over the place, and given the car has had a new sender unit etc, I suspect that perhaps the gauge itself may need to some maintenance.

I’ll get the garage to remove the items and then reinstall. Not that bothered about the ‘detailing’ and making pretty, just want them to work 😁
230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 00:47:22 »
Regarding the bouncing fuel needle, I would still suspect an issue in the fuel tank or in the wires between it and the gauge.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 11:54:09 »
I totally agree with rwmastel, it is very improbably that the fuel gauge at the instrument cluster or it’s connections are bad in any way as that part is not removed often during the lifetime of the car.

The culprit in my opinion are the cables on the connector at the fuel sender that come from the wiring harness.

In many of the harnesses I have restored those cables are compromised, specially if you got the type with aluminum conductor.  In some years I am not sure which ones Mercedes used for small gauge cables 0.75mm2 aluminium or copper with a solder coating which happens to get easily oxidized, making cables brittle.  If that is your fortunate case you have two options:

1. Carefully cut and peal cable ends at the fuel sender connector. 

Sumerge them in a solution with citric acid for 2 hours or more until they are in bright copper color.  The solution should be warm to be more effective.  If they are not clean enough use a sanding paper in grit 240 and carefully polish them (they are too brittle).   After this is, proceed to solder each cable to the connector pin again.  Use soldering paste from Radio Shack  ( RadioShack Rosin Soldering Flux Paste, Non-Spill - Made in USA - 2 oz. Jar https://a.co/d/0dCfEcu ).  Also use a quality solder wire, since it makes a great difference ( Kester 24-9574-1402 K100LD, Lead-Free, Rosin Wire Solder.031" Diameter-Low Cost Alloy, 1 LB Spool https://a.co/d/8Q54mx2 )

The second option, is…

2. Replace wires that bring signal to the fuel gauge in the rear harness loom. (Better and definitive solution)

This one is the most recommended.  You will have to replace only two wire all along.  The Blue/black, and the Blue/green.  Use high quality wire with full copper core.  Here some examples at Amazon.  Ancor Marine Grade Primary Wire and Battery Cable https://a.co/d/7dlsqaI    Cable size is 18AWG.  Buy Blue, Green and just in case also brown to replace the ground feed wire.  25 feet are more than enough each color.

Best regards
L.peterssen

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 14:44:43 »
Thank you!
Will try that! 😁
230SL

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 21:13:14 »
By the way…..

Rebuilding a REAR WIRING harness for PAGODA cost only 490$ plus shipping (shipping is not so high since it weights aprox 3 lb) and I can include in that price the full replacement of those wires related to the fuel sending unit/fuel gauge. 

Appart the fuel pump line which is a large heavy wire is replaced for a new one as well as its ground wire.

You can rest your mind (not rest in peace, that is later once we all go to heaven) that this particular part of your loved classic pagoda will not be the cause of another malfunction

All made with care with the best possible quality materials and workmanship

Happy new year to you all

Best regards
Eng. Leonardo Peterssen

Simon

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Cobham
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 21:29:12 »
Hi - if you still need dials / gauges refurbing or repairing in the UK try: JDO (http://www.jdo1.com/index.html) they do good work and easy to work with
1967 W113 250SL
2001 R129 SL500 Silver Arrow

Sam1

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Peterborough
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 04:55:14 »
I used JDO to service my clock. All very good. I’ll be sending them my speedo next.