Author Topic: Question on gear box and injector gaskets  (Read 1107 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Question on gear box and injector gaskets
« on: January 04, 2023, 17:37:41 »
Hello my amicable fellow pagoda owners!
So, the fun with Bessy continues, with the garage providing a response back to my concerns over the various leaks arising.

Injector pump leak
Response: Oil leaking past injection pump end plate. Oil leaking past injection pump end plate. Would need to remove back plate and see if there is a gasket because I cannot find any listed gaskets for the back plate.
 replaced the seal with a second hand have replaced the seal with a second hand one as new one is not available

Gearbox leak
Found that there is a small leak from where the gearbox bell housing bolts onto the gear casing. This is a very common issue with pagoda manual gearboxes. There aren’t many that don’t leak from there because there is no gasket between the casings.

re-seal the gearbox with sealant. There is no guarantee the leak will not return in the future. 4 hours work

Could anyone advise if this is factually correct, re availability or not of gaskets

Many thanks

Katie
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 18:48:53 by Merc_Girl »
230SL

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Re: Question on gear box and injector gaskets
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 21:42:02 »
Hi Katie,
Regarding the gearbox leak, I think it's not technically a leak because it's supposed to be dry on both sides of the joint (inside and outside).  The leak is coming into the clutch cavity from either a shaft seal on the transmission or from the rear seal of the crankshaft, depending on whether it is engine oil or transmission fluid, as I understand the system.  Since the bell housing-to-transmission joint is supposed to be dry, there is no need to have a gasket in the joint.
Removing the transmission will reveal the "real" source of the leak. 
Mine leaks too, and I fabricated an aluminum strap-on cup that holds a "maxipad" to keep my garage floor dry, and I change it about once a month. No laughing permitted!
I am tired of changing it, so I am preparing to remove the transmission and rebuild anything that is broken.  It is probably a much bigger job than 4 hours.  I have not done it before.
Good luck.
Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 10:29:49 »
Unfortunately, I don't have the information in front of me  but all the injection pump gaskets as well as the governor (Aft half of the pump assembly) gaskets are still available from Bosch.  They come in 2 kits and are about $150 USD per kit. 

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 11:15:41 »
Unfortunately, I don't have the information in front of me  but all the injection pump gaskets as well as the governor (Aft half of the pump assembly) gaskets are still available from Bosch.  They come in 2 kits and are about $150 USD per kit.

Thank you

Have forward the info to the garage 😁
230SL

Duncan200

• Senior
  • Australia, Victoria, Rowville
  • Just started my Restoration
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 13:00:17 »
Hi Katie,

Pretty sure the two seal kits for the pump are the following Bosch numbers:-

F026T03028

F026T03032

I got the governor kit from Marcel Kappin in the Netherlands a couple of years back, I can’t recall where I got the other kit.

Doug
1966 MB 230SL DB 717 4sp Australian Delivered Matching Numbers Car. One day it will be back on the road in all its glory.
2000 MB CLK430 Convertible
2001 Nissan 200SX Spec S
2019 Audi SQ7 Special Edition

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 12:36:41 »
Hi Katie,

Pretty sure the two seal kits for the pump are the following Bosch numbers:-

F026T03028

F026T03032

I got the governor kit from Marcel Kappin in the Netherlands a couple of years back, I can’t recall where I got the other kit.

Doug

Thanks Doug 😁
230SL