Author Topic: Exhaust Studs  (Read 1174 times)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Exhaust Studs
« on: December 20, 2022, 14:13:12 »
I have a friend who has a 280SE/M130 with one exhaust stud in the head coming lose. Thread in the head is somewhat damaged. It is next to impossible to drill and put a helicoil or timesert in to repair the thread with the head installed. Was thinking of using a bonding/adhesive. Does anybody have a recommendation for something that would work. Steel/aluminum bond under high temp?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Re: Exhaust Studs
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 15:09:00 »
Hello Mike,

My experience has consistently been that no adhesive is going to be adequate in that application.  Simply too much heat.  The helicoil is the way to go.  It's just unfortunate that getting the required access is such a problem.

Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

David Robinson

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Senior
  • Ireland, Connaught, Galway
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 15:28:02 »
While I agree with Harry you could try one of the J-B Extreme Heats Weld pastes. Might buy you some time.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 16:39:29 »
I have a friend who has a 280SE/M130 with one exhaust stud in the head coming lose. Thread in the head is somewhat damaged. It is next to impossible to drill and put a helicoil or timesert in to repair the thread with the head installed. Was thinking of using a bonding/adhesive. Does anybody have a recommendation for something that would work. Steel/aluminum bond under high temp?

Can the thread be "chased" at all with a tap? Or is access so severely limited that this is an issue too? If the threads can be chased, maybe your friend could use something like this?

https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlockers/high-strength-threadlockers/hot-lock-extreme-high-temperature-threadlocker/

It's indicated up to 2000 degrees...turbocharger and exhaust bolts. Worth a try, right?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 05:35:38 »
These holes for the studs are very close to the water jacket, so you need to be careful with drilling out the holes and installing inserts. I would try to find a longer stud and cut some threads a little furhter up on the stud so it grabs some good threads at the end of the hole. Heli-coil inserts can be installed with the head on if you have all the right tools. keeping your new hole straight and perpendicular to the head will be the challenge. There are some drill guides which can help you do that. A three fluted drill bit also helps keep itself on center. Spend some time researching on Youtube. Almost anything can be found!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 13:04:34 »
  Worth a try, right?

Definitely! Thanks, Mike. What I was looking for! A generous amount of that stuff to fill, may be the solution.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 09:35:27 »
Once you remove the manifolds access is pretty good so I would always go for the timecert option myself.