Author Topic: Interesting comment from Jay Leno  (Read 2326 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Interesting comment from Jay Leno
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 08:26:18 »
Fair comment indeed.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

wjsvb

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 15:15:03 »
Amen!
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 15:19:43 »
Yes
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 15:50:17 »
I agree too ....!  ::)
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 16:38:37 »
Very well stated!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 17:09:08 »
Perfectly put.  This is why we all admire Jay Leno. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 21:24:14 »
..the photo is a bit ironic given what just happened to him (workshop fire). At least he is ok.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 03:53:46 »
What did he say for those of us who don’t care to set up a Facebook account?
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 04:00:50 »
CARS - LIFE - RESTORATION
So here are some very sage words from Jay Leno about old cars and their restoration which I thought were perfectly right for this group.
"Once I had a gentleman on The Tonight Show who had climbed Mount Everest, which is an amazing feat that is nearly impossible for most people under the best of circumstances. But this guy was also blind. Imagine being 29,000 feet up, grabbing at snow, not knowing if it’s night or day, with the wind howling and every breath a challenge, and you can’t see anything. Anyway, he was a nice gentleman and an incredible athlete who afterward had been doing motivational speaking. I asked him how it was going and he sort of grimaced. He said the frustrating part was the meet-and-greet after, when at least one person in every audience would come up and say, “Yeah, I was going to climb Mount Everest, but, you know, the kids have soccer and work is crazy and I just haven’t gotten around to it.”
Like it was so easy except, you know, soccer practice. Here this fellow had trained his whole life to do something that maybe one out of 10 million people can do, had endured incredible hardship, and had even overcome the fact that he was blind, and people were so dismissive of it.
Maybe it’s because life has gotten pretty soft and we don’t make anything for ourselves anymore, but we’re losing respect for other people’s accomplishments and hard work, for what the human hand can do instead of just the human brain. I hear this all the time from guys who have their cars restored and who have never turned a wrench in their lives: All mechanics are crooks, they’ll overcharge you at every turn. They’ll moan about the high cost of a paint job, for example, not realizing that the paint is $600 a quart and somebody has to spend hours sanding it and finishing it because a good finish doesn’t come out of a rattle-can of Rust-Oleum.
Our appreciation or understanding of other people’s hard work is fading, and that rankles me. The last time I pulled a transmission out of something here at the garage, it took hours and my hands were bleeding and covered in grease, and I thought, “Some guy only makes a couple hundred bucks for doing that?” That’s why I don’t usually question a quote for something we need to get done outside the garage. Good work doesn’t seem expensive when you think about how much actual effort goes into it, and that someone needs to be able to make a living doing it or else nobody will do it. Besides, I have yet to meet anyone who is getting rich by sandblasting rusty parts or re-chroming bumpers. They’re not overcharging—in fact, they’re probably undercharging.
Well, nowadays we watch these shows where they restore a car in a weekend, literally, and it seems so easy. The sparks are flying and guys are trying to ram a big-screen TV into the dash, and after a couple of commercial breaks and some pounding music, the car is done. It gives people an unrealistic picture of what it takes to restore a car—the thousands of hours, many of which are never billed. Just the amount of research a restorer has to do, figuring out how things go together and what is supposed to be original, is huge.
These days, Amazon will drop a package on your doorstep the same day you order it, so we’re also losing touch with how long things take in the real world. A very famous country western star called me not long ago and said, “It’s my husband’s birthday, he’s always wanted a 1953 Ford F-100, a red one, and I want to get one for his birthday. Can you get me one?” I said I couldn’t promise it would be red, but I would look around. Then I asked when his birthday is. She said, “Thursday.” I said, “This is Tuesday! I’m not going to find a car in two days. It takes awhile!” She didn’t get it.
Next time you’re walking a car show, before you judge some guy because his paint isn’t perfect, think about how much of the work you do yourself. Unlike everything else we buy these days, there’s nothing quick, easy, or cheap about old cars. And while few of us will ever climb Mount Everest, restoring a classic car is enough of a mountain for most people. Give them some credit."
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 04:56:48 »
What did he say for those of us who don’t care to set up a Facebook account?
I don’t have a Facebook account either but could still view it
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 12:30:34 »
Thanks Gary.  This is great.

Speaking of hard work, did you type this?
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

john.mancini

• Gold
  • USA: Nokomis, FL and Chatham, MA
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 19:00:53 »
Leno is spot on. Great read. Leno is one of the very last Hollywood conservatives. We live in an "instant gratification" world. I feel badly for my grandchildrens' generation. They may never know the feeling of satisfaction that comes with hard work and perseverance.
John
68 280SL 906 Blue 4-sp
69 280SL 906 Blue
70 280SL 904 Blue
70 280SL 571 Red
70 280SL 040 Black 4-sp
66 230SL 162 Blue/Grey 
68 280SL 568 Red 4-sp
69 280SL 304 Horizon Blue
65 230SL 519 Red 4-sp
83 911SC
98 911 cab
56 Ford F100
08 RS60
62 Corvette Fuelie
66 GT350H
67 GT350
70 LT1 conv

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 19:09:15 »
Well, it does take a lot of work to make that viral TikTok video!    :o
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 22:08:52 »
John - 2 seconds - highlight, cut and paste!
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 01:19:54 »
..the photo is a bit ironic given what just happened to him (workshop fire). At least he is ok.

Dave that is most definitely irony at its worst or best!!!!
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 10:33:04 »
I wonder if his view has been reinforced by spending time in hospital with bad burns (after an accident while working on a car)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2022, 23:10:23 »
I like how a rich person like Jay, really appreciates the manual labor and expertise regular Joes do and have respectively.

So many rich folks just wire the money and expects perfection as SOON as they want it.  And don't fully appreciate the hard work manual labor entails.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2022, 01:29:48 »
I like how a rich person like Jay, really appreciates the manual labor and expertise regular Joes do and have respectively.

So many rich folks just wire the money and expects perfection as SOON as they want it.  And don't fully appreciate the hard work manual labor entails.

Of course he does - he gets his hands dirty, makes mistakes, and has accumulated the scars and bruises that all of us in the hobby suffer from time to time.  Those things don't diminish the pride of ownership, satisfaction of working on, and joy of driving our collector cars regardless of how large or small the garage.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2022, 09:12:20 »
I will keep this very vague on purpose but I distinctly remember someone here questioning the value of the work of a specialized restorer years ago.  The gist of their comments were that although the restorer was the best at what he did the price was simply too high.  Someone suggested he simply not use this person and he replied that he was the best at what he did and wanted to use him but maybe we should all get together and tell him to lower his price. I jumped in with what I seem to remember as a long winded speech about what perfect work takes to achieve and their response was that the restorer’s shop rate was X and it couldn’t possibly take that many hours to equal the estimate he was quoted.   I just shook my head when I realized this person was literally saying the expert didn’t know how long a job he had done a hundred times would take.

Amy McKenna

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Regular
  • USA, PA, Coatesville
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2022, 12:55:59 »
Love Jay! And his ability to stay so grounded is amazing!  It reminds me of pulling into the Santa Monica Pier which was the final stop of MBCA Rt 66 tour which took 12 days. I drove the '58 220S Cab the entire route, and was the 2nd oldest car in the tour.  I was late for the group picture. Someone started yelling because I missed the picture. I could only laugh as, not only did the car just drive cross-country, but we were delayed because of the California freeways.  Everyone was driving 80mph+ or more, bumper-to-bumper, with the luxury of power brakes and steering. I was thrilled, on many levels, to make it to The Pier in one piece and alive.  A life lesson: "Remember what you've done, and not just focus on what you still have to do".
Amy
'58 220S Cabriolet
'67 230 SL
'12 ML350